o
Stripping or Restaining Dresser?

Posted by blakeas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 16:13

I want to restain this piece of furniture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/blakeas/Picture003.jpg

to match the stain of this piece of furniture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/blakeas/Picture005.jpg

How do I do that? It looks like i have a finish on the first piece of furniture. Do i just start to the stain the piece of furniture? I have never done this before so I thought I would ask the experts...

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stripping or Restaining Dresser?

That's a pretty drastic change. There are processes and materials that can be used to shift the color a bit. I don't think this would qualify for any of those. Stain is normally meant to be applied to raw wood, and not just added over the top.

The way I'd recommend getting there is to strip, sand, and re-stain. This looks to be what some manufacturers call "espresso," "mocha," or "java" and what I call "beverage" colors. I would probably use a multi-step process to get this color - pre-stain red, a dark brown-black stain, and possibly a glaze to tweak the color. The below link, though not exactly the same, outlines a process for getting this. Somewhere between Finish 2 and Finish 3.

Add in an additional difficulty that the first unit is pine, notorious for not taking stain well and you have a significant challenge.

You might consider having a professional strip and refinish if you are serious.

You may get pitched or tempted to try just top coating with an all-in-one finish like Polyshades(r). This is a terrible idea likely to give very disappointing results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission FInish

o

so you are basically saying I just need to buy a new dresser?

o

If "you have never done this before," I'd say probably yes, unless you want to give up golf for the summer and use up a quota of swear words on your refinishing project :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here