Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
otgmom

Teak/Nyatoh Outdoor Furniture Maintenance

otgmom
18 years ago

I am interested in teak or other hardwood outdoor furniture but am concerned about the amount of maintenance involved. I've heard various things about the amount of upkeep needed (sanding, doesn't need sanding, etc.). Could someone please share your experiences in living with wood outdoor furniture and if it requires a lot of work to live with? Thank you!

Comments (6)

• User
    18 years ago

I have teak outdoor furniture (loveseat, armchair, coffee table) in NYC for 3 years. I looked forward to it going gray and I never had any intention of attempting to keep it the original teak color. It's in a shady area. Each spring I wash it with a little Dawn in a bucket of water with a nylon bristle brush to get the dirt and moss off. That's it. I do have to brush each piece of wood - just wetting it doesn't do it.

• doc_dot
    18 years ago

I have both teak and iron pieces on the deck and in the yard. No covered protection.

Iron has to be repainted regularly. Teak looks superb with a yearly scrubbing.

We have hot humid summers and cold humid winters.

Good quality teak is costly and lasts for generations. Our is almost 40 years old.

• konfusedkat
    18 years ago

As the previous poster mentioned, make sure you get good quality teak furniture. We had some Adirondak style chairs that we paid $700 apiece for and they are terrible. One just slowly fell apart (first the armrests came loose, then the back slats, etc.) For the first few years I oiled them to keep the original finish. It was a smelly, laborious process (albeit not as bad as painting though.) Nevertheless, they eventually developed a very ugly patina. Not the pretty silvery color like the salesman described - more like a streaky, dull brown. We do live in a very humid area, but the chairs were a big disappointment. I'll never buy teak for outdoors again.

• lizh
    18 years ago

I agree with konfusedkat. If you are going to spend the money on teak, go with a quality vendor. As for maintenance, check out mfg. websites to see what they recommend:

Kingsley-Bate, Wood Classics and Barlow-Tyrie are a few that come to mind.

I have some pieces from Kingsley-Bate (the Normandy Collection) but I bring mine in over the winter. I've used teak cleaner on mine.

• marky-boy2
    15 years ago

Following the successful launch of the Cottage Arbour at the end of 2008, Lincolnshire based AFK Marketing have recently announced the latest addition to their range of garden furniture, the Blenheim Arbour.

The new addition mirrors its sister product, the Cottage Arbour, in many aspects comprising one key distinguishing feature; a leaded roof which adds a twist to the original design whilst also providing increased protection form the elements. This unique design sets it apart from its rivals.

Manufactured in the UK using timber from sustainable forests, the latest design from the AFK range is available in a choice of either sage or cream. Complete with the new contoured seat, this design ensures extra comfort. The Blenheim arbour also includes handy drinks holders inset within the armrests.

Chris King, Managing Director of AFK commented 'We have been overwhelmed by the high volume of pre season orders we have so far received for the Cottage Arbour and we are now very excited to see what the Blenheim Arbour will bring. The lead roof adds a new design angle that we think will appeal to discerning people looking to add a unique feel to their garden furniture.'

The Blenheim Arbour along with other products from the AFK range are available nationwide - for stockists details or further information please visit www.afkgardenfurniture.co.uk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wooden Garden Furniture

• coastal_modern_love
    13 years ago

We have new (1year) Kingsley-Bate teak furniture. Grayed after the first summer, but I like this look. We left the pieces out this long harsh NE winter not anticipating any problems. Looks like the day we put it out (other than the color). You can "wash" out the gray with a special teak detergent, but I prefer the beachy washed out look.

But of course, as most posters above suggest, it all depends on the quality of construction, "grade" of the wood, manufacturer and where the teak was harvested. Teak can last a lifetime, but is an up front $$$ investment.

Might I add, I also have a kid's outdoor teak table from Pottery Barn. Lasted 2 summers (winters inside). Because it is stained, the color faded unevenly and peeled so had to refinish it after the second summer. Now the pieces are falling apart at the seams. Horrible construction.