Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thomasville 1974 furniture

Posted by ingrid_2009 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 12:27

How do I determine worth if selling? Dining set with glass door hutch, server, table/2 leaves and 6 cane back chairs. Also triple dresser with 2 verticle mirrors and Armouire.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thomasville 1974 furniture

Furniture that is that old, and that has no pedigree, like a brand like Baker, is not really worth anything. Your best bet might be to donate it and take a tax credit.

You don't have to take my word for it, but I'm an interior designer and have struggled with this problem of how to dispose of client's old furniture before they purchase new furniture for years.

If you can get a consignment store to even take something like this, they'll charge you for moving it, ask a very low price for it, and then split the money received. It's just not worth the trouble. It's better to donate it to a good organization like the Salvation Army, or Habitat for Humanity. The furniture will go to a family that needs it, the charity will get the money, and you'll have done a good deed.

o

I would agree that unless it is a midcentury style that would be desirable to someone who wanted a certain "look" is is essentially used furniture that doesn't have much of a resale value. You might try Craigslist at some nominal price and see how it goes.

o

I am researching history of the federal style 9 drawer pecan triple dresser by Thomasville pictured in the link I posted here. I would love to be able to complete this set but more important to be is finding replacement hardware. To do so I need more information on the style and year. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: my dresser

o

That is a beautiful dresser. As far as hardware your best bet would be to contact Thomasville directly. Perhaps they could steer you in the right direction, other than that it would be random luck to find the hardware elsewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here