Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying furniture in US and shipping abroad

Posted by noobies (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 11:43

Hello everyone. I've been following this forum on and off for about a year now. My wife and I are moving out of the US for good and are planning on buying bedroom and living room furniture to take with us to our new apartment (furniture too expensive where we're going).

Shipping abroad means that store reputation is especially important because we won't have time to deal with refunds or exchanges (we need to maximize the likelihood of getting right the first time). It also means that warranty periods will be of little value to us, because they will become void once we move overseas.

This forum has a lot of info on quality of manufacturers relative to each other (i.e. good, bad, this is better, etc.), but I haven't been able to tie this info with our budget. We have a budget of $6000 for the bedroom and $6500 for the living room.

Our main questions that we're struggling with now are:

1- what good brands can we afford based on this budget?
2- will we be able to save money (and more importantly time) if we go down to NC to shop the stores there? We live in Indiana.

FYI, for the bedroom, we're targeting the following pieces:
- 1 King bed
- 2 Nightstands
- Dresser + Mirror
- Door chest or armoire
- Drawer chest
- Chair + ottoman

For the living room, we hope to buy:
- sofa (3-seater, long version)
- love seat
- single chair
- chair + ottoman
- 3 side tables
- center (coffee) table
- entertainment center (fit 50" tv)

Our style is not contemporary, but more like "transitional." For example, in bedrooms, we liked the thomasville king street collection, or the stanley louis louis sleigh bed. Don't think we can afford those, but just to give you an idea.

Your thoughts on the above 2 points of concern are very appreciated.

Thanks.

p.s. I have a separate budget for the mattress.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying furniture in US and shipping abroad

Their are some manufacturers that provide a international warranty, so try and look for those.
When shopping in NC their are freight forwarding firms that can help you with shipping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here