Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommy2four_gw

Which sheen for new kitchen table-matte or gloss?

mommy2four
13 years ago

It's taken me forever but I've finally decided on a table and chair style made by Saloom Furniture Company. I've decided on all the options except for the sheen level applied to the finish color.

The table is maple and I chose an ebony finish for the table base/apron and chair frame, and a honey finish for the table top and chair seat.

The sheen options offered are

-matte (a near zero gloss level)

-satin (a medium sheen level)

-gloss (a high gloss sheen)

I've seen the samples of all three and the gloss was not really shiny even tho it says high gloss.

I've eliminated the matte sheen because the company doesn't recommend it on dark finishes like ebony because it shows fingerprints and smudges more easily.

This dining table set will be in my kitchen area and with seven of us in the house it will get a lot of use. My initial inkling was to do a satin finish but the dealer I am buying from recommends the gloss, she thinks it looks nicer so it was more of a personal opinion. I told her I thought the satin would be a little more forgiving with scratches than the gloss. The dealer agreed and said I could always mix the sheens and do the table top in satin and the base in gloss but I'm not sure I want to do that. I have a traditional cherry Thomasville dining room set in my dining room that has a gloss finish so that makes me think the gloss will look more formal. Since this is in my kitchen which is open to my family room, I chose more of a transitional style (it is a boat shaped table with a crescent base) and I am wondering if one sheen would look better than the other considering the style. I'm sure either would be fine I just can't make a decision on this. I would really appreciate some recommendations!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations