Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Platform bed whine

marys1000
18 years ago

For me a platform bed is about not having a box spring

(the less to end up sagging in the middle)

but it seems manufacture's think its about low profile.

I would like a nice traditional looking regular height bed, with no box spring. I know the legs would seem long but if they were sort of

thick I think it would look ok. Or of there were a coversion

box of some sort - like a box spring but a platform - it would have

to have inner legs going to the floor for support I think.

It does not seem there is such a thing. AGH.

Comments (7)

• lazy_gardens
    18 years ago

Check IKEA ... some of their platform beds have different legs you can choose.

• marys1000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I looked and didn't see bed frames, i.e. head board/ footboard you could change the legs on. They do have legs (7 7/8) that attached to a frame of some sort. Most of their beds looked like they already had a
    7 7/8 leg anyway though?

• pammyfay
    18 years ago

I believe that all of the beds sold by Room & Board are mattress only, and not all of them are way low to the floor.
    Crate & Barrel have some as well; maybe Storehouse, too.

But it's true that many of the platform beds are designed to be more contemporary looking, and that necessitates a different look (ie, lower) than traditional beds. Similar to many modern sofas being lower than traditional ones.

But concerning the mattress, I'm not sure you are guaranteed that mattress-only platforms are gonna save you anything in the long run. Boxsprings are designed to provide support. I notice that some of the mattresses sold by Ikea, for example, and Room & Board that are designed to be used by themselves and not with boxsprings are much heavier and denser. So a regular Sealy mattress, say, may not work any better on its own. And a pillowtop is eventually going to sag and/or flatten no matter what; it's just the nature of the beast.

This mattress part is just something to research, if you haven't already.

• verysleepy
    18 years ago

Marys

I have a platform bed made by Gothic Craft furniture- which has sales online, and in many places. I recently changed mattresses, and since the new mattresses today are much thicker- mine is 16"- the height of the bed is almost "normal." This platform is great, as it gives wonderful support under the mattress, and I have additional storage underneath the platform with a huge drawer. I hope this helps.

• marys1000
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't use pillowtops and its not the money so much on the box springs as the eventual sag.

• homepro01
    18 years ago

My poster bed from Ethan Allen has a platform and does not require a box spring. It is the American Impressions bed.

Good luck!

• mariapoli
    16 years ago

I had the exact same problem .I hate boxsprings since I feel they ruin the proportions of the bed.I prefer a low clean proportionate platform.Another problem with the boxsprings is that they are very hard to clean between the cracks .Check kmpfurniture they carry some nice platforms that do not need boxsprings. Good luck