Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bradington Young/ Hancock Moore- China or Not?

Posted by PaddleNPedal (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 9:55

Hello,

I have been looking at furniture for the last several weeks and have found this forum to be very helpful. I am hoping someone can help me with identifying better quality leather seating.

According to what I have read here, HM and BY are considered among the best -HM is said to be THE best. However, I have noticed that the furniture stores in my area are displaying some HM and BY that is not what I would consider top quality. The leather appears to be of low quality and the legs on the BY were screwed in crooked. I found that the BY has at least three lines that use the BY name. They have Envision, Seven Seas and BY. Seven Seas is made in China and has a lesser warranty. I have not found much information regarding Envision, but have not really looked.

HM seems to be offered in levels as well. At my local store (which is in a major city and has a massive showroom) the nicer HM is on one side of the store and the lesser is on the other. The lesser does not have a HM label in the seat bed (under the seat cushion) but the store has a manufacturer code assigned to HM on the tag.

When did HM and BY begin this practice and how do I shop for the better quality seating? Am I overly worried about the Seven Seas, Envision and NO TAG HM???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bradington Young/ Hancock Moore- China or Not?

Paddle, I am seldom on the furniture forum but the best help that you can get regarding H & M and BY is from Duane Collie. He used to post here but now has his own furniture forum. I have linked his site for you. When you get there click on the bar on the right for his forum. IMO he is the person to go to for the most current info. We purchased an H & M sofa and recliner and a Jess Charles chair covered in an H & M leather from Duane this past September. He was so helpful in our choices and his forum is wonderful. The H & M pieces are amazing and very well crafted.

We have two BY chairs that are in the same living room with our new pieces. They are at least 15 years old and still going strong. The Seven Seas is the lower end BY. I don't know anything about the Envision line. We are quite pleased with the quality of the old BY pieces that we have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keeping Room

o
RE: Bradington Young/ Hancock Moore- China or Not?

I just wanted to add that the comment I made about the Seven Seas line as being the low end I wasn't referring to quality but price point as I don't have any experience with the quality of the SS.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here