Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogpound_gw

Sherrill Furniture Quality?

dogpound
16 years ago

Can anyone advise me on the quality of Sherrill upholstered furniture, more specifically the plaza collection line?

Comments (18)

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

I've always heard that Sherrill is a high quality brand. When we were shopping for a sofa, however, the one Sherrill sofa we found had a very limited warranty on the frame: only 5 years, I believe. So we went with a Rowe sofa, instead, which came with a lifetime warranty on both frame and cushions. I was a little confused, as I thought Rowe was a lesser brand. Sorry, that's all the info I have.

• jerseygirl_1
    16 years ago

I had a Sherrill sofa for 18 years. It was my main seating during my apartment years and into my first home. I always had compliments on it. I would buy another one in a heart beat.

• blpostid
    16 years ago

Bumping this up.. Any thoughts on Sherrill vs Lee, Norwalk, Michael Thomas, others? If anyone used their extra firm cushion option, did it hold up? Thanks!

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

I have been told by multiple furniture stores that it is an excellent line - I hope so, as my new Sherrill sofa will be delivered in a few weeks!

• mogator88
    16 years ago

I've always heard that Sherrill is a high quality brand. When we were shopping for a sofa, however, the one Sherrill sofa we found had a very limited warranty on the frame: only 5 years, I believe. So we went with a Rowe sofa, instead, which came with a lifetime warranty on both frame and cushions. I was a little confused, as I thought Rowe was a lesser brand. Sorry, that's all the info I have.

A warranty has no bearing on how long an item will last.

A warranty is only as good as the company behind it. Its easy to offer such a warranty on a Rowe because they know you won't pay the shipping charges involved after perhaps 10 years of ownership.

There are other issues that come up that would make this a long discussion, especially if I included my opinions on this.

There is a trend in furniture to shorten warranties to make them closer to other consumer goods.

Hyundai cars have the longest warranty... would you choose it over a Lexus?

• sharburk
    16 years ago

I have purchased a few Sherrill sofas. I bought two from the Plaza Collection for two of my daughters. Similar fabric, same sofa. Both girls had children. One held up much better than the other. One (my daughter who is hardest on things) held up best. The cushions held their shape, etc. The other one, the cushions were mishapen after awhile and it just didn't look as good. I don't know if it was just the different texture in the fabric. But, basically they got some good use out of the sofas and I would buy one again.

The Plaza Collection just means that this group, Sherrill makes more of, has more fabric for, and can give a better price because of it.. The exact same sofa made, not using a Plaza fabric, and it will cost more. (That is my understanding..)

• smile
    15 years ago

We have the plaza line and it is of good quality, but we dont use it heavily since it is in our living room. We ordered from Boyles and had a pleasant experience. The furniture had a few minor wrinkles and they sent a repair person to steam it out, and he commented that the furniture was well made. It was a good price for the quality.

• organic_barbara
    15 years ago

Hancock and Moore, other fine companies YES... Sherrill No! We will never support Sherrill even if they had a name in the business or owners have liked their furniture. Perhaps they have changed recently and we once thought they were a wonderful company!
    We loved a sofa we spotted at a quality store in AZ and NY and kept waiting for when we could make the purchase. We eagerly looking forward this year to our Sherrill sofa we purchased at Boyles Furniture Mart in NC. NOT! Instead we have our lovely, brand new, but unoccupied, sofa sitting in our living room since March 6, 2009 and we sit on a kitchen chair instead while waiting to complete our new living room and waiting to hear from Sherrill. Why? Because the plush seat cushions have poor construction with an airy polyester filling, the plush material around it and the lovely fabric encasing it. Definitely not firm. The third ingredient for a good seat cushion, a spring inner core is missing. The standard is lower for this company and I am not pleased. We asked for firm not sitting on a pancake. Sherrill should should have recommended to Boyles their inner spring core with the plush around it.
    We are getting no satisfaction from the company even after sending a letter to the President of the company. No response. (Note: They do not talk to customers and we sense not too much with their sellers.) Boyles told us Sherril would make the 3 inner spring core cushions (not the fabric ... just the inside cushion) and charge us $525! Boyles would ship free. This is an item Sherrill can turn out or have access to quickly and fairly inexpensively.
    In Tucson we can get the work done professionally for $300 which is what we will have to do to a brand new unused sofa. But the point is WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO GO THIS ROUTE! Not with Brand NEW! Boyles should have guided us better but MORE IMPORTANT SHERRILL should have guided Boyles Better!
    Anyways go with Hancock and Moore or some other reputable company. They are a gem from start to finish and Boyles also did a very adequate job for us working with furniture from them and Baker. Over the years we have purchased furniture from Thomasville, Baker, Hancock&Moore etc. We will support those companies because of their high standards with their product and their customers. I really do not get this upset, folks, but come on... we paid this company a great deal of money and where is their integrity?

• organic_barbara
    15 years ago

In regards to Boyles being Cheep... I completely disagree. Boyles has been very good for us in our recent furniture purchases. Even though we still have concerns with the Sherrill company, as we speak, there may now be some resolution regarding our brand new but poorly soft plush cushions that are not firm enough. And Boyles is working to resolve this. And we believe Sherrill even may be. (Hallelujah! but stay tuned on that.) We feel Boyles has worked hard for us.) They were also excellent in the ordering of our Hancock and Moore chair and a Bakers credenza - all pieces being outstanding. H&M deals well with Boyles and with the customer. I will let this site know what happens to our poor cushions and if Sherrill comes through for us.

• llettybarnes_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I purchased a sofa and chair (as is) that was sold to me as down-filled, but it is all feather and they have poded out by the dozens since day one. They call their feather filling "comfort down". Seems like just deception to me. Neither my furniture store (Shoenfelds in Bellevue WA,) nor Sherril will do anything about this horribly made furniture. Very very unhappy customer. No pride in manufacturing here. I feel duped.

• rock34_gamil_com
    12 years ago

I received my new sherrill furniture yesterday.First chair had loose leg. Second chair had loose leg and a hole in a fabric ( defective stitches?), the sofa had dirty spots all over and a hole in a fabric I could see the filling or what ever it was inside . I have photos to show you this HORROR.

• jeansances
    7 years ago

I love their sofas. I bought a very deep sherrill sofa and everyone fights to sit or lay down on it. 10 years old had it slip covered once.

• cshelton100
    3 years ago

Just received this my new couch. It's extremely wrinkly. The company said it's customer preference and not a defect and will not do anything about it. Run somewhere else

• HU-717137824
    3 years ago

My girlfriend moved in a couple years ago and she has never liked my Sherrill couch. Says it makes her really hot and she always falls asleep when we watch a movie. This is my second Sherrill and I can say I am not a big fan. After 6 years the bottom cushions are flattened and don't have any structure. I heard these couches should last 10 years. That hasn't been my experience. Also, the first couple years sharp down feathers would poke out. Also, the back pillows had a crunch sound. I am sure the frame is quality but the other stuff I listed is making me want to try a new brand next time.

• lolakaye55117
    2 years ago

I purchased a Sherrill sofa and two upholstered swivel chairs 20 years ago. I love them! The fabric has not worn or faded, there is no damage at all!, the back cushions have held up very well. The chairs have had more use than the sofa, so I did have the foam rubber in the seat cushions replaced about a year ago and they are like brand new again. Absolutely no complaints and I love all three pieces as much today as I did when Dayton’s delivered them 20 years ago!

• Frenessie Andersen
    2 years ago

I would not buy Sherrill furniture again. My Sherrill sofa is around 9 years old, but looks like 30 years old. It started to look “old” after 1 year. I bought it through a designer who recommended I splash out for a high quality sofa to last through retirement. The sofa was purchased from Landfair Furniture—to the trade only—in Portland, Oregon. Shortly after purchasing the sofa the designer I had hired left Portland. When the sofa started to fail, I called Landfair, but they refused to do anything about the sofa (again, to the trade only) and suggested the cushions needed plumping, and that the sofa had a warranty. A bit of a conundrum as I received NO paperwork from Sherrill or Landfair since the purchase was handled through the designer. When the front of the sofa started to sag I discovered there was no frame there, but a spring—as in a mattress. So my sofa has a sagging front and pancake cushions and looks truly awful. Over 9 years, I could have had a new sofa every three years for the price I paid.

• Darynda Klein
    2 years ago

Roseanne what would you recommend