Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcps_gw

LL Bean Sectional

mcps
11 years ago

Good Morning!

I've been looking around for a sectional sofa and I keep coming back to this one on LL Bean:

I like the looks of it - and it seems like a good price. Has anyone had experience with LL Bean Sofas?

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultralight Comfort Sectional

Comments (8)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

Maybe just me, but purchasing something made from polystyrene verses a sustainable material (wood) just bothers me.

• mcps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

*Made in the USA* polystyrene!

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

Mcps, is the seating firm or soft?

What angle does the seat back hold you at? Is it how you like to sit?

That is a decent amount of money for a sectional. Even a modular one. LL Bean has sold me fine clothing in the past. Find someplace you can sit on the sofa though. It is fifteen hundred dollars! *

*Unless that is not real big money for you. I only spend that type of money once a year.

• mcps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks toronado. You've hit upon the problem - I can't sit on it - it's only online so I have to go by the online reviews. $1500 is a lot! But it seems to be a lot less than what I see in places like Star Furniture and the like. Just for grins, I asked them to send me a swatch of the upholstery. Thanks for your response!

• mcps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update - I found a very nice (wood construction) sectional at Star Furniture (Texas based store) for less $$ than the LL Bean. They were having their 100th birthday sale. Total price for right and left sided love seats and corner piece, plus 5 year protection plan and delivery was $1850.00. Grey was in stock - but I ordered in Berry red and it will be delivered in 30-60 days. Very happy with that instead of ordering something online that I have net seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Star Furniture sectional

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Mcps Sounds good but have a look at the frame and spring construction, hardwood or plywood, no sag or hand tied, cushion type and tailoring.

• mcps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Freethinker...I really didn't know what I was supposed to be looking for. Sounds like the specifications are close to what you are suggesting:

Frame Construction: Well seasoned, Noth American hardwood lumber frame. High quality, all solid hardwood frame - made from a variety of wood species. Stress joints - reinforced with corner blocks, wood glue, and high pressure stapling. Cotton and Darcon polyester padding on outside arms and rails. Trim Flex padding on front rails. Benefits: Prevents frame warping and distortion. Domestic wood meets all US safety standards including formaldehyde and pest constrol. Prevents splitting and cracking. Prevents the upholstery fabric from coming into direct contract with the wooden frame.

Coil Construction: No-sag seat suspension. 8.5 gauge sinuous steel wire, evenly (4" centers) spaced. Secured to the front and back of the frame with Teflon coated metal clips. Springs are bound with paper-coated cross wires. Bedefits: Adds stability to weight distribution and promotes even seating. Prevents the rub of metal on metal; thus eliminating "squeaking� Maintains even weight absorption for consistent "ride".

Padding & Ergonomics: Standard seating: 5", 1.8 density, Hi resiliency foam core with Darcon wrap Super Plush Seating: 7", 1.9 density, plant based, polyurethane foam core. Foam core is encased in a channeled, fire resistand down proof bag filled with sillicone coated blown fiber. Benefits: Luxurious softness with maximum shape retention. Deep comfort combined with enhanced durability combined with "Green Technology". Maintains cushion loft. Allows user to "flip" cushions for longer life.

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Mcps sounds pretty good for what the price range. On the frame construction solid hardwood is best rather than plywood. The fact that it is domestic wood is also good as it meets US regulations. On the coil construction 8 way hand tied is the best. The fact that the no-sag has 4" centers spaced, I assume this means the No-sag springs are spaced 4" apart is also good. Some no sags can be as much as 9" spaced. In a no sag the more springs the better and the longer it will last. On the cushions its a little confusing do they have an option of 5" cushion with a 1.8 density or a 7" cushion with a 1.9 density. Or does this mean a 5" foam core with a wrap which then becomes 7" but then why do they say 1.9 density? Many foams today had plant based soy mixed nto the foam which is also good a step in the right direction.

One last question you might ask is the country of origin. For example it could have US lumber and still be made overseas in China. It's best if your set were made here.

Anway it sounds like a good value for the money and it also sounds you liked how it looked and how it was tailored so I would go for it. But check the country where it was made.