Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
home_newbie

Ashley furniture or havertys?

home_newbie
13 years ago

Hello everyone!

My wife and I just bought our first house and we are looking to furnish it right away. We have found a similar bedroom set and reclining leather match living room set (sofa, loveseat, and recliner) at both Ashley furniture and Havertys. Both stores are willing to price match. So, I have two questions:

1) who has better quality/customer service, Ashley or Havertys?

2) does anyone have experience with leather match? Would you recommend or not and why? We found a reclining leather match set for $2900 does that sound like a good price for the three pieces?

Thank you all in advance!!

Comments (5)

• xine
    13 years ago

I usually buy much higher quality stuff, but I went into both stores to look for a BR set for my 3 year old -- something that I wouldn't mind her chipping and scratching, etc. and that I could get rid of when she leaves for college. The Haverty's product seemed to be slightly better constructed, with wood veneers instead of particle board, better blocking in the corners, etc. I have one other piece from Ashley and after 2 years it looks awful. Definitely "disposable" furniture.

Have you considered saving up a little more and buying better quality stuff that will last you longer? Nothing like having to buy a new couch in 5 years because it's falling apart.

We just bought a huge (11' in each direction) fabric sectional from Smith Brothers, with a lifetime guarantee, for $7k. I don't plan on having to buy another sofa until I retire in 20+ years.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    13 years ago

Both are the low end of furniture quality, Ashley is a manufacturer and sells through a dealership type program where Havertys is a retailer but does source from overseas direct. Buying leather upholstery from Ashley or Havertys is like going to Dennys for a top sirloin steak dinner.

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

I have a dining set and matching hutch from Ashley. I loved the design and the look but the quality is really pretty bad. It is not durable and when you look closer, the construction is pretty shabby.

Luckily, these pieces do not get a lot of wear. But, unfortunately, it doesn't take a lot of use to show problems. Save your money and invest in better quality pieces.

• jessicainva
    13 years ago

My husband and I purchased Ashley furniture a number of years back, for the same reason (get more rooms filled up fast). With the exception of a love seat we don't sit on much, all the pieces showed sagging, fabric wear and tears within months. We purchased some bar stools which were OK, but everything else really was junk. Hind sight is 2020. Given the opportunity to go back and re-do the purchase we'd have waited and purchased quality pieces - we'd have them now instead of replacing them and increasing our long term costs.

• totsuka
    13 years ago

I have bought from havertys on several times and found it pretty good quality. Recently, I bought a nice couch from LazyBoy, and we are very happy with it so we will buy from them again. I don't care much for Ashley.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor