Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My extra firm memory foam mattress became extra soft

Posted by Nuieve (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 23:39

I bought it less than 2 years ago. Loved it the first 6 months or so, it was so firm... but then it started softening... and now I can't sleep on it, it's soft as a pudding, my butt sinks good 7-8 inches deep! I'm 190lbs... It's Simmons brand. Can someone explain to me if this is common to memory fo mattresses because I don't know anymore if such thing as 'a mattress that lasts more than a year' exists anymore... I need a new one, but I'm not sure what to buy...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My extra firm memory foam mattress became extra soft

That sucks. It is time to do some research.

First, who did you buy it from? We have sent mattresses back for loss of consistency but it takes some effort. Helps if it is a model we still have on the floor. That way you/we can weight test it and see how deep xx pounds sinks on the display vs yours.

Second, how is your foundation? If it is on a bad boxspring then the mattress will just sink.

Third, how is the bed under it? My uncle had a nice wood bed and somehow only used two cross slats, one at the head and one at the foot. This wasted a mattress set we sold him but we got to the bottom of things.

Do some investigating yourself. Especially if the frame or the wood bed is not right you want to make it right BEFORE the mattress company gets involved. Not entirely honest I suppose but some mattress companies hide from warranties often enough I don't feel bad.

Oh, and search for any stains on the mattress and try to clean it before they come over. Thats another out they have.

o

Well, I bought my memory foam mattress 8 years ago at Costco and it is still as firm as when I bought it. Plus, the price was great. I think it was a Novaform brand and you can get a 14" thick one in queen size on special at the moment for about $500 from Costco.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 2:29

o

I am no expert but I know not all memory foam is of the same level of quality, and it actually varies from batch to batch. The way my ex and I dealt with the durability issue was to finally buy a natural latex foam mattress.

I found this site incredibly helpful and we did end up buying from this store. But no matter where you live the material is really educational.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to shop for a mattress

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here