Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdmasek

Anyone tried flipping a single side mattress and adding a topper?

tuesdayschild
11 years ago

Hi folks,
About 6 years ago I bought a Simmon's Beautyrest mattress, falling for the "no-flip" nonsense and have been regretting it since the first 8 mos after I bought the mattress. Now its just awful and gives me back spasms if I'm lying down longer than 7 hours, which is NOT enough sleep for me.

Prior to this I had 2 mattresses, one was a 2-sided pillowtop Sealy (since discontinued) the other was a truly beloved McRoskey, again, 2-sided. They both lasted some 11+ years (one 12, one 15) and had no nasty dips or dents. They were both flip and turn. Both on the same platform bed (platform/drawers/slat support above the box) -- built by my Dad for me and I won't part with it for the world. Clearly this nonsense of no-flip mattresses doesn't work, or perhaps you have to have 2 people sleeping on the mattress to make it work, but since it's only me now, I only have 2 positions, I now have 2 perfect (ly awful) hip dents that I alternate between.

I was going to go buy another McRoskey, but then thought that maybe I could get a few more years if I flipped the mattress and added a thick (3") memory foam mattress topper to the "bottom" of the mattress. Just a thought...to put off the big purchase by a couple of years. Has anyone tried this? Did it work?
Thanks for any experience you can supply,
Jen

Comment (1)

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!