Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nlmorejon

Problems with new sofa, HELP!!

nlmorejon
13 years ago

I apologize that this is so long, but I am in a panic. Our first leather sofa was bought five years ago. Within three years we noticed that the color was rubbing off (yes it was made in China). This year we decided to do an upgrade. I didn�t want another leather sofa for fear of having the same experience. But my husband felt that a higher quality sofa would not do this. I gave in and we bought a nice Hancock and Moore sofa and recliner. The leather is called Antelope Saddle, which came from Germany. The sofa itself was constructed in the United States.

The furniture arrived two days ago. The recliner is beautiful but the sofa has many leather issues. We noticed the following problems:

1. Several places on the leather do not appear to be fully dyed .

2. There is a long, raised mark on top of one cushion. Instead of smoothing it out with this grade of leather, dye was applied on top of it. It cannot easily be missed.

3. There are white specks throughout the cushions.

4. On one of the armrests, there are two swirling grey marks.

5. Not knowing that the white specks and grey marks were imbedded in the leather, we attempted to remove them with a damp tissue that resulted in the dye coming off on the tissue.

We bought the sofa online from another state and paid to have it delivered to us. We contacted the dealer who we bought the sofa from. He stated that most of what we described is due to damage caused by the delivery company. He said that the pigment loss is typically seen when tape is placed on the leather and removed. The tiny white specs are due to heat in back of the trucks coupled with flexing of the leather (Heat? Its winter!) . The dealer is sending us a leather cleaner/conditioner kit that he says will take care of most of the problems.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this. How did you determine it was due to the delivery company? Were you able to permanently fix the problems? Also, do you think that in three years the color will start to rub off, leaving large patches of white, like it did on my old sofa?

Comments (3)

• nlmorejon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I decided to post some pictures of this H&M sofa. The more I look at it the madder I become.

Leather stain coming off tissue

cushion blemish

cushion blemish

white speck in leather

Incomplete color on sofa

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    13 years ago

From your photos it appears the leather is a pigmented leather with a corrected grain. Usually this type of leather is made from poorer quality hides, but most of the problems your having is from hides that the manufacturer should have rejected from the tannery in the first place. You should never be able to wipe color away from the leather using a cloth or tissue, unless their was any type of solvent on the tissue before.
    Also issues with packing, they (the store) should have never applied packing tape to any part of the leather.
    If it was me I would take the store and H&M to small claims court.

• ycheng2
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear this. Surprised for the poor quality from an expensive H&M piece. I got a H&M from town&contry program leather which is from China. There are no such kinds of problems on the leather. Send the dealer the pictures and ask him to work with H&M for a replacement. Pls update us

good luck