Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snowcat_gw

Which one to choose-H&M or Elite Leather?

snowcat
17 years ago

I am shopping for a leather sectional sofa for a long time. We first find the Elite Leather Century City sectional and really love its morden looking until we saw the tower sectional from H & M in another store. The Elite leather's Century City is on sale at Macy's for $4000 now. I tried to find online discount stores to get a better price but did not find any one selling Elite Leather. The H&M is priced at around $6000 locally and I got the quote from Lexington Furniture for around $4800 including shipping. I know H&M is a great company and make great sofas. The sofa looks great but it seems out of my buget even with $4800. My original budget is around $3000 but did not find anything decent so far. Now I could not decide which one should I go. I would like to get your idea. Which one would you choose? Can I trust Elite's quality? Is it possible that I can get a better price for any of them? Thank you very much for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: HM

Comments (18)

• snowcat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is the picture for the Elite sectional

Here is a link that might be useful: Elite Leather

• psoup
    17 years ago

By H&M do you mean Hancock and Moore? I am also looking for reasonably priced leather furniture (see my post)

• snowcat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yesï¼it is Hancock and Moore

• bellamay
    17 years ago

Hey...I have two Hancock and Moore sofas both with untreated leather. The cushions are down and because the sofas are curved and the back cushions are shaped like a curve they failed. I don't know if it is the leather or the design of the couch. H&M replaced the back cushions with foam but they have failed also. "they scrunch down and won't stand up straight any more>. Where I am going with this is be careful what kind of leather you order. The sales people warned us that this untreated leather is like silk and has to be treated like silk. We have four kids, dogs and entertain alot and the couch's now have to go. They were $8500 per piece and are only 6 years old.

Good luck

• cityslicker
    17 years ago

Snowcat - You should look at the ESPASIO by Omnia Leather. Omnia makes great furniture and it is made in America. All special order. Great leather choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kathy Ireland Home by Omnia Leather web site

• perunapete
    17 years ago

Bellamay,
    Which style of couch and leather did you order from Hancock and Moore? I am considering ordering a sofa in the Montana leather that is unprotected and do not want to make an expensive mistake.
    Thanks, Josh

• dcollie
    17 years ago

Bellamay,

You need to contact Hancock and Moore about a repair. They are one of the best companies around at honoring repairs and doing them at no charge or inexpensively.

Unprotected leathers are not as fragile as silk by a long shot. I have a 20-year-old H&M recliner in my house in an unprotected leather that looks great. As a dealer for H&M, I'm confident in their product, and they have never failed to take care of an unhappy customer in my experience. But you have to contact them for them to help.

• furnone
    17 years ago

H&M is eight-way hand tied coil spring construction where Elite is sinuous (no-sag) springs. In my opinion, eight-way hand tied is superior. I can attest to H&M's customer service, no experience with Elite, although they have a good reputation.

• mcook
    16 years ago

snowcat,

I hope I'm not too late... the sectional sofa that you are looking for is also offered by Arizona Leather here in CA (I don't know what state you are in).

For the memorial day weekend they are having a special sale of $2400 off if you purchase a sectional, $1200 off if you purchase 2 piece sectionals (ie. a 3 seat sofa & a loveseat), $600 off all sofas & $500 off all chairs. Here's their website: www.arizonaleather.com The Arizona Leather model name is also called Espasio.

I believe the Elite Leather & Espasio (from Kathy Irland) & Espasio from Arizon Leather are all the same sofa.

Arizona Leather sofas are made in the U.S. (made in CA actually).

Hope this helps!!!

mcook

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Leather Furniture & Accessories

• shoppes1
    16 years ago

Palliser makes that model, built as well as Elite leather and costs under $2500.00 at www.leathershoppes.com called Como.

• mogator88
    16 years ago

Palliser "Horizons" model sofas can be compared to Elite's quality. But Como is not part of that program.

Otherwise Palliser furniture is NOT the same as Elite Leather, they are a full step down. I know, I've sold them both.

Also, this is NOT an advertising forum. Shameless self promotion like this is not allowed here and makes it harder for regular people to get help and honest opinions and answers. Your mis-representation is an example of what nobody wants here.

• Solobiz
    11 years ago

I know this is an older posting but I hope some of you leather couch experts are going to see this. I am SO confused! There are a zillion options out there. I found a photo of an Elite leather sofa that looks really nice but I can't seem to find a local retailer that has it in stock. It is the Lenoir style. Does anyone have this sofa in San Remo dark brown leather? How is it holding up? We have two medium-size dogs with scratchy toenails so we need a leather that's going to hold up to that. The other sofas we are thinking about are Ethan Allen's Richmond sofa or maybe a Flexsteel sofa. We sat on a Cruise Control Flexsteel sofa but like the look of the Comfort Zone sofa better. Would love to get anyone's input/experience with any of these brands. Thank you!

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

H an M is the gold standard in the industry but it is rather costly for most consumers.

• wkate640
    11 years ago

I have an Elite loveseat and two chairs in leather but not the Lenoir model. They are now 6 years old and holding up very well. They're also very comfy.

• kattc123
    8 years ago

Elite may say they offer a great warranty and they stand
    behind their products, but beware - they do not warranty the leather on their
    sofas at all! I bought a couch
    from them with full analine leather in April of 2015. By December of 2015, the
    piping on one of the cushions had worn through (it was fuzzy rather than
    smooth). It is just me and my husband and we’re 50+. We are not hard on our
    furniture at all (we have another 20 year old leather couch that looks better
    than the Elite sofa!). The problem had to be related to a defect in the hide
    used for that area of piping. Elite’s answer was to sell me touch up at $50 or
    a new cushion cover at $200. There was no offer at all of any warranty coverage
    for the leather. Fortunately, the company I bought the couch through was
    willing to pick up half the cost for the new cushion, so at least I was only
    out $100. I would never buy from Elite again given their terrible customer
    care.

• somestupidusernameluh
    8 years ago

You can get a nice sofa for $3k.

Kasala, local upscale store where I live.

http://kasala.com/collections/sofas/products/arcadia-leather-sofa

• Louis
    7 years ago

The Elite Leather "Lifetime Warranty" actually means that when the product starts to wear at all, it's lifetime is finished. They warrant the leather against cracking but when I complained about cracks, they told me that cracked leather meant that the lifetime warranty had expired. The retail salespeople are nice and the prices of Elite Leather furniture make you think that you are buying high end furniture from a reputable company, but the truth is that their furniture is mediocre and they do not stand behind their warranty at all.