Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janiceme

corner twin beds question

janiceme
17 years ago

I am dating myself here, but does anyone remember a type of twin bed set that was very popular about 35 years ago? Actually, it was two twin beds and a Parsons table that fit in a corner. The beds were each a mattress on top of an upholstered box spring platform that was on heavy duty caster wheels.

The square table would fit into the corner of the room, one bed would slide into the corner between the table legs and the other bed would rest against the other side of the table. The whole was an "L" shape arrangement that functioned like sofa or studio daybeds with bolsters. They were easily arranged to make two twin beds for guests, etc, because you could pull them out on their casters. These were popular in beach houses, guest rooms and teen rooms.

I would love to find this set up for my guest room. It keeps the beds out of the way until needed, but does not require popping up or pulling out a trundle, neither of which I consider desireable for elderly guests. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (19)

• catherine07
    17 years ago

Pottery Barn Teen has something similar to that- it's expensive of course. It's called Store-It Bed & Corner Unit in case the link doesn't work.

Catherine

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Teen Store it Bed and Corner unit

• pammyfay
    17 years ago

My sister recently purchased this kind of setup for her Florida condo. She called it a 'Bahama set'; she found hers at a used/vintage store.

But here is a links I just found on the Web:

Here is a link that might be useful: gain furniture

• renni_2009
    15 years ago

Did you ever find the corner bed "tuck away" solution you described?

THanks,

-renni

• janiceme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I never found exactly what I wanted. The set pictured at the link above is no longer available and the beds were more like narrow sofa/cots, not standard twin size. The PB Teen set takes up lots of space because the corner table is solid and does not allow one bed to slide under.

But, things can change and styles come round again. I noticed in the latest Touch of Class catalog, they had two daybeds arranged in a corner with a small square table between.

I suppose one could have them custom made, but it would probably be pricey.

• poogielee_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have been looking for the exact same set up . There was even some with a storage drawer on the bottom. If you find it please tell me where.. The best solution I can come up with is, twin platform beds and look for a tall table. The one you and I are looking for was a narrow bed slightly smaller than a twin size.They were in style many years ago.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

A standard twin is 39" wide. This IKEA table is 46" x 29" A 39" mattress could slide under the long side between the legs (You would have to confirm this but they also sell a slightly longer table) and the other mattress could fit up against the short side (There would be overlap). The legs could be cut down to make it the height you wanted.

I have used these tables or the Ingo tables, cut down, as corner sofa tables as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA tables

• Sandpiper111
    12 years ago

Wow, I'm not the only one who has been trying to put his arrangement together! I have found several photos and recent redo's of the original, but I think I'm going to have to put the idea together myself. I really am looking to make a den/ guest space and do not want it to look like a child's room. Here is a link to a fairly decent adult version. If anyone has other photos or ideas to put this together that would be more like the original I would love to see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Gallery Furniture Twin Platform Bed Group

• lauramayj
    12 years ago

I rember exactly what your talking about.The Twin corner bedroom set was featured in Seventeen magazine and they came with a mod black and white graphic bedspread and bolsters and a high Parsons table in the middle.I rember the ad's where featured around 1972 to 1974 and i think that Bassett or Lane funiture made thamI to have searched endlessly for this set.Thanks

• DebiB13
    11 years ago

I had the exact same thing when I was a teenager, and I would love to have this again --- mine was a yellow/green/brown/white flowered material for the covers that went over the beds. It was great because you could move it all around any time you wanted. I really want to find another one.

• Mon_save
    10 years ago

Not only did we use this set up for our two girls in the 70s... the set is still in storage. Mind you, both our girls have families of their own, and neither chose to use the set for their children.It was made by Stanley furniture and is an interesting shade of persimmon with pink/purple and lime green accent lines. The girls had the whole set, and it served them well.
    I found this thread while looking for a picture of the same ensemble --- so I could try and sell ours on craigslist. Just had to jump in.

• pauladove57
    7 years ago

I had this same set as a teenager and want one again for my guest room. Has anyone had any luck finding a set or designing and making one?

• jeanski18@aol.com
    6 years ago

Can't believe it. I'm looking for such a setup for my lakehouse for both my grandkids and older guests. My boys had this arrangement in their room in the late seventies which was manufactured by thermopedic but I don't believe they make it any longer. J C Penneys has something like it called Possibilities L shaped bed for $1499.00 less any coupons. Also NE Kids manufactures something like that.

• mob5c
    6 years ago

I to am looking for the bahama setup. we stayed for a couple of months in a rental in Hawaii back in the 70"s that had this set up its perfect for a quest room it was dressed out to be a sofa durning the day and you pulled one bed out from the table and had 2 twin beds the funiture companys are missing out not selling this today with all the vacation homes people have at the lakes and beaches but price wise i think we will have to make our own .

• Dawne Richards
    6 years ago

I am looking for one too! And it also looks like we'll have to make our own. We should start a business...

• Jackie Windes
    2 years ago

It was called a Duo Bed made by a company in Italy that also sold in the USA. My parents bought two of them in 1960. Unfortunately, they are no longer in business and the sets I had access to are gone as well. I am also looking for that set now for a loft area.

• HU-728506959
    last year

I had this exact set too in the yellow floral print. im looking for one for our grandkids room. please post if you know where to get tgis set!

• HU-161122250
    last year

I am a owner of one of these sofa bed corner set ups you are discussing. It is in wonderful condition and is available. Please contact if interested. jsullivan611939@gmail.com

• Shannon Boggs
    6 months ago

http://www.susandorbeck.com/2013/06/empty-nest-makeover/
    Is this it?
    I had one as a child as well!! Looking for one for a friend this morning and came across this link from 2007! Ha! Hope it helps someone.