Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
corner twin beds question

Posted by ukigumo (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 07 at 21:08

I am dating myself here, but does anyone remember a type of twin bed set that was very popular about 35 years ago? Actually, it was two twin beds and a Parsons table that fit in a corner. The beds were each a mattress on top of an upholstered box spring platform that was on heavy duty caster wheels.

The square table would fit into the corner of the room, one bed would slide into the corner between the table legs and the other bed would rest against the other side of the table. The whole was an "L" shape arrangement that functioned like sofa or studio daybeds with bolsters. They were easily arranged to make two twin beds for guests, etc, because you could pull them out on their casters. These were popular in beach houses, guest rooms and teen rooms.

I would love to find this set up for my guest room. It keeps the beds out of the way until needed, but does not require popping up or pulling out a trundle, neither of which I consider desireable for elderly guests. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: corner twin beds question

Pottery Barn Teen has something similar to that- it's expensive of course. It's called Store-It Bed & Corner Unit in case the link doesn't work.

Catherine

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Teen Store it Bed and Corner unit

o

My sister recently purchased this kind of setup for her Florida condo. She called it a 'Bahama set'; she found hers at a used/vintage store.

But here is a links I just found on the Web:

Here is a link that might be useful: gain furniture

o

Did you ever find the corner bed "tuck away" solution you described?

THanks,

-renni

o

I never found exactly what I wanted. The set pictured at the link above is no longer available and the beds were more like narrow sofa/cots, not standard twin size. The PB Teen set takes up lots of space because the corner table is solid and does not allow one bed to slide under.

But, things can change and styles come round again. I noticed in the latest Touch of Class catalog, they had two daybeds arranged in a corner with a small square table between.

I suppose one could have them custom made, but it would probably be pricey.

o

I have been looking for the exact same set up . There was even some with a storage drawer on the bottom. If you find it please tell me where.. The best solution I can come up with is, twin platform beds and look for a tall table. The one you and I are looking for was a narrow bed slightly smaller than a twin size.They were in style many years ago.

o

A standard twin is 39" wide. This IKEA table is 46" x 29" A 39" mattress could slide under the long side between the legs (You would have to confirm this but they also sell a slightly longer table) and the other mattress could fit up against the short side (There would be overlap). The legs could be cut down to make it the height you wanted.

I have used these tables or the Ingo tables, cut down, as corner sofa tables as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA tables

o

Wow, I'm not the only one who has been trying to put his arrangement together! I have found several photos and recent redo's of the original, but I think I'm going to have to put the idea together myself. I really am looking to make a den/ guest space and do not want it to look like a child's room. Here is a link to a fairly decent adult version. If anyone has other photos or ideas to put this together that would be more like the original I would love to see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Gallery Furniture Twin Platform Bed Group

o

I rember exactly what your talking about.The Twin corner bedroom set was featured in Seventeen magazine and they came with a mod black and white graphic bedspread and bolsters and a high Parsons table in the middle.I rember the ad's where featured around 1972 to 1974 and i think that Bassett or Lane funiture made thamI to have searched endlessly for this set.Thanks

o

I had the exact same thing when I was a teenager, and I would love to have this again --- mine was a yellow/green/brown/white flowered material for the covers that went over the beds. It was great because you could move it all around any time you wanted. I really want to find another one.

o

OMG! I was just remember MY set up as a teen in the 70's and decided to Google it to see if it still exists! I had this set up, along with 3 firm, bolster pillows to make the set up into a 'sectional' look...it was like having couches in my bedroom! I slept on the fully-exposed twin bed and if a friend stayed over, just pull out the other bed from it's hiding space under the parsons table and you had 2 beds. All you would need to do is find/make a parsons table able to fit a twin bed underneath and then just get 2 twin beds. Should be super easy and cheap!!! I had great interior decor skills even at such a young age and I was forever redecorating my bedroom, usually from a funky store called "house of India". All my paychecks went to buying the cool treasures I would find there. Ah,....memories!!!

o

Not only did we use this set up for our two girls in the 70s... the set is still in storage. Mind you, both our girls have families of their own, and neither chose to use the set for their children.It was made by Stanley furniture and is an interesting shade of persimmon with pink/purple and lime green accent lines. The girls had the whole set, and it served them well.
I found this thread while looking for a picture of the same ensemble --- so I could try and sell ours on craigslist. Just had to jump in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here