Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will it fit through the door?

Posted by greenpond (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 08 at 20:48

After taking all the measurements of my room and determining that the sofa I like the best will fit in my living room, I just realized it may not fit through the front door! My door is 36" wide; the sofa is 40" tall and 44" deep. It's the largest opening into the house.

I made a paper template using the measurements from the company's website, thinking I could bring it in at an angle. To my best estimate, it still won't fit - not even close. We really wanted a 40" tall sofa, but of course the depth would then have to be much less than 44" for sure. I know it can be "angled" through, but I wonder if there's a sure way to tell what the limits are.

Anyone out there have any advice on how to tell from the measurements given online if a piece will fit, or experience with moving a large piece through a 36" door?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will it fit through the door?

36" door is a piece of cake with all regular sofas provided you have good egress before and after the door. A basic door with primer as it pertains to furniture deliveries - and very general.

Most furniture is designed to go through 33" - 34" doorways, so a 36" door is a luxury (if you ever want to see delivery guys break out in a big grin, have a double opening front door).

At 32" things get interesting. There are certain larger sofas that won't fit, and some that have to be 'shoved' through if the customer decides thats OK, and might have get abrasion marks on leather pieces, or light soiling on fabric ones. In my delivery trucks we carry a special pad with metal bands to fit around door jambs for exactly this reason.

Anything other 32" requires careful planning beforehand, and many pieces simply won't fit. You're up against the laws of physics. 29" and 30" doorways are virtually useless for sofas, but you can get recliners through them relatively easy by opening them up flat and carrying them through in an extended mode (be very gentle if you do this, as its hard on the mechanisms).

Whats as important as door width is egress on each side of the door. On many doorways, we have to be able to 'hook' the sofa around the door frame. If we can't do that, it may not go in.

An experienced delivery crew is your best bet. They can tell usually very quickly be eyeballing the doorways if a piece will or will not go in, plus they know the tricks in handling larger pieces to get them in the house, whereas a new crew will simply give up and put it back on the truck.

There is a decision-making point on some difficult deliveries that the customer must decide upon whether they want the furniture pushed up against the jambs and walls. If you as the customer say 'yes', then expect some minor blemishes on your furniture or walls. Sometimes thats the only way to get a piece in.

I've often remarked that every architect should have to work on a furniture delivery truck for at least a month before they get certified. We'd see a lot better egress into homes if that happened.

-Duane Collie

o

Once again, Mr. Collie, your reply has been most helpful - thanks so much! An interesting perspective for architects too! I completely agree. I'm calling the store first thing tomorrow to make sure the delivery team is experienced in such things. It's a straight shot, no tight turns, so maybe it will work. This is a fabric (chenille print) piece, so hopefully abrasion won't be a problem.

I have emailed you off-list, BTW, regarding a visit to your lovely state in a couple of days.

Thanks again!

o

Just thought I'd post a follow-up. I called the store, a very reputable one I might add, and the very nice salesperson discussed it with their delivery men. They confirmed everything Mr. Collie said, that this particular sofa is a very popular model (Bradington Young) and that they fit through 36" doors all the time with no problems. Whew!

Yes, Mr. Collie *is* the Go-To Guy for great advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here