Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sell or toss used mattress??

Posted by wease (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 17:48

My wife and I have had our king matress and box springs for about 8 years. It's a pillowtop so there are now indentations on the top from where we sleep. It also has a weird stain on it from where cold medicine was spilled. Should we toss the matress and box springs or would someone buy this on Craiglist? It's a Sealy Posturepedic Plush Pillowtop.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sell or toss used mattress??

In some stats it's against the law to sell used mattresses....the way people get around it is to sell a bed, complete.
If your state allows....give it a try...ask $2...beats paying someone to haul it away.
Linda C

o

It seems like would be hard to sell a used mattress. So many people are having trouble with bed bugs. I think folks would be afraid to buy a used one. And they charge you a few bucks to recycle a mattress. You have nothing to lose by posting it on Craigslist. See if anyone wants it, and if not, toss it.

o

My daughter tried to sell a mattress on Craigslist with no luck, even for $50.00. So she listed it under free and she got several calls and it was gone within a couple of hours.

o

Most places that bring you a new mattress (if you have delivery) will take away your old one...this is a great deal and I highly suggest it. I thought I would give my Golden Retrievers a nice bed in their kennel, so when I had a mattress replaced, I had the delivery truck take the old box spring and I put the top mattress in the dog pen and covered it in blankets. 2 hours later I went out to the garage where their pen is and they had completely torn it up...those little juvenile delinquents...they had a wild party and I ended up having my handyman load it up in his truck and take it to the dump...LOL

I say toss it!!!

o

I put a bed frame, a box springs, and a frame on Freecycle this week and had zero takers.
The next day I put it up for sale on Craig's List and sold it within one hour.

I also use spare mattresses for dog beds and my dogs have enjoyed them for years- they have a double and a twin right now, the double usually co-opted by a cat.

o

You could contact your local Salvation Army or homeless or women's shelters to see if they could use a donated mattress and box springs. You would be able to deduct your donation from your 2010 income tax.

o

There are also in several cities a charity devoted to recycling used furniture (here it is MAP Furniture Bank). They will pick up your item, and it will be provided free to families in need of furnishings (ie formerly homeless, or lost everything in a fire or flood) who has been referred to them from one of several social service agencies like the Salvation Army or Red Cross. They always need beds and mattresses. But if it is badly stained they won't take it.

My experience is that anything posted for free on Craigslist will be taken quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here