Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Couch Shopping - Confused on Quality

Posted by texasdad (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 17:42

We are shopping for a couch and I'm confused on how to determine quality. Everybody seems to be concerned about the quality of the leather.

But the couch we have now the leather is as good a new but the frame is sagging. Actually it was replaced under warranty once for this same problem and is now sagging again out of warranty. I've had the bottom cover off and was surprised to find the frame is 100% pressboard. This is a Nautizi(?) couch for Dillard's.

I really like this set from Costco but do not know anything about the quality of it? Opinions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cambridge Leather Pushback at Costco

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Couch Shopping - Confused on Quality

I have done alot of research on this subject and still find myself a bit confused, but here is what I know. If you want a sofa that will last you need one with a solid hardwood frame and 8 way tied springs. This level of quality is gonna cost you, though...at least $4,000 for a sectional. Less for just a sofa. I would be surprised if Costco carries anything of this quality.

o

$4,000 for a sectional is like admitting you think you have extra money and should pay more taxes!

texasdad, did the frame on both the original and replacement couch go sagging in the same place?

Don't be surprised about the pressboard construction now. Folks build new houses with wafer board floors these days.

You're on the right track flipping over sofas and looking inside. Also beware of super long sofas or sectionals with high ground clearance and no center legs. If the "superstructure" doesn't have trusses like a bridge I bet it will fail.

o

does Costco still offer warranty for that couch? I heard Costco has life time satisfactory warranty

o

The couch replaced under warranty and the current one have frame damage in the exact same spot.

Costco does offer the lifetime satisfaction policy, but I'm not sure how that would work with a several year old couch? I guess it would be returnable?

o

You won't get good leather, a hard wood frame and 8 way at Cosco, nor will you find said couch for much under the $2500 price point, and I will venture even to say under the $3K mark.
Cosco will have goods priced for the bulk of their customers, which do not include higher end furniture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here