Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbarbara321

Looking for an affordable good quality Sectional sofa.

jbarbara321
10 years ago

We bought a Broyhill Laramie sectional sofa with DuraCoil cushions less than a year ago...DO NOT BUY A BROYHILL! After 6 months, the cushions had flattened out and we could feel the framing when we sat. It is just the 2 of us in the house and we are not big people!

We bought the couch at Pilgrim Furniture and they have replaced the cushions twice already. They tried to get Broyhill to give us a refund but they won't and just want to keep replacing the cushions. Pilgrim is giving us a credit and letting us pick out another sectional but I have to buy it from them.

So here we go again. My choices are:

A.R.T. Furniture Inc
Ashley Furniture
Ashley Millennium
Benchcraft
Best Home Furnishings
Craftmaster
England
Fairmont Seating
Flexsteel
Futura Leather
Klaussner
Signature Design by Ashley
Southern Motion

Are any of these any good?

Comments (4)

• jkten
    10 years ago

We are having the same problem with picking a midrange brand. We don't have one purchased yet but we have read bad reviews of every brand in our price range. Specifically considering klaussner. Would love feedback on their stationary fabric sectionals.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Jbarbara, I type this while laying my 230 pound self back on my Ashley sleeper sofa. I find their products to be durable and servicable for the price.

There are a couple mistake products in the line up. The WIDE seat reclining sofas are prone to mechanism failure. The big swivel accent chairs suffer from larger folks like myself and folks who set their kids loose destroying em in the play room.

FWIW, I prefer the normal sized seat reclining sofas for durability.

Any special conditions in your home? Are you in a dry climate like Vegas or do you have three college football playing sons bouncing around?

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

Pretty much all of those manufacturers have similar construction components. Plywood frames, generally hardwood plywood, sinuous springs (some are built better than others) , Flexsteel uses their curved blue steel system, and foam cushions with a fiber wrap (ask if they have upgraded cushion opions). If considering these products visit a sofa at your local retailer and observe the tailoring, warranty and comfort of the piece and then make your decision.

• jbarbara321
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. My preference is for a stationary sectional with a traditional look (nothing modern), don't need recliners and want firm cushions due to back issues...I attached a photo of my current couch. It took me 8 months to find the Broyhill and thought we found a gem with the firm Duracoil cushions. This was our 3rd Broyhill and we still have a leather couch that we love and the other one lasted 17 years with a houseful of kids. Broyhill has gone way downhill and the Duracoil technology is a bust!

The thought of picking out another couch makes me cringe...off to Pilgrim tonight. We might go with something in leather.