Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherine07_gw

Byrd Company Furniture

catherine07
17 years ago

Hi- I'm new to the forum but have been educating myself on it for a few years.

Does anyone know anything about this furniture mfg?

http://www.byrdcompany.com/

They seem very reasonably priced with good construction. They say they specialize in COM.

Thanks,

Catherine

Comments (14)

• whenicit
    17 years ago

Would love to know more! Their site looks like they have some great stuff. Hopefully someone will chime in.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    17 years ago

I have not heard of this company and usually try to keep up with most any new furnitures manufacturers in this area I live. They are a new company and their PO box lists Newton, NC (area code 828) which is in the Unifour area where their are many manufacturers. But their telephone number is from a different area 704. Its very easy to put up a web site and have some photos of upholstery. They dont give a physical address or any names; founders or officers of the company.

• stealthecrumbs
    17 years ago

Catherine,
    I am actually very interested in learning more about this company too and am hoping someone will be able to give us more information. I have encountered Greenhouse Designs (the fabric company they mention on the webpage)during past projects, but my research thus far has produced very little about Byrd & Co furniture. I wonder if they are somehow affiliated with the AR Byrd Company? It is a custom woodwork and general contracting business out of Lincolnton, NC and the area code for the business matches the one given on the Byrd & Co website (not in Newton as rmanbike pointed out above)... now it is a mystery I would like to solve. Belle

• salviastreet
    17 years ago

There was a posting a couple of days ago from someone at Byrd & Co, directly hawking their wares, which is a forum no-no. The link prompted me to do a search on this forum. If they are a legitimate company we all might be interested (reasonable pricing, good basic mix of upholstered pieces) but I might be suspicious unless someone can vouch for the company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting from Byrd & Co

• byrdandco
    17 years ago

I am one of the owners at Byrd & Company and can probably answer most of the questions. Unfortunately I posted a response to someone interested in purchasing a chaise lounge before completely reading the rules of the forum. I realized after the fact that directly advertising a business was a rule violation and for that I appologize. We are family owned and been in business for many years. A brief history is on our site. We do list a PO Box on the contact page of our site because that is how we receive our mail. Our physical address is 24 East 1st Street, Newton, NC. We do not list that on the site because we do not have retail space and is not useful until people ship their fabrics to us. In the past we sold exclusively through interior designers with the majority of our clientele being in the Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas. Several years ago we switched our phones to broadband for the substantial savings. Since we were allowed to choose our area code we chose 704 allowing Charlotte clients to call us at no charge and us to discontinue 800 service. I hope this clears up the confusion, but if not I will be happy to answer any questions. Thanks for the interest! Brad Byrd

• stealthecrumbs
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information Brad! I have been watching this thread for a while, hoping someone would be able to give us some information. I know you aren't supposed to self-promote, but hopefully one of us gals (or guys) will have a chance to give ya'll a try and can then report back to the forum about the ordering experience. NC seems to be experiencing a lot of consolidation and an influx of imports leaving lots of us with questions about quality even in the higher end brands. I for one would love to be able to work on projects with a smaller, family owned business. Belle

• catherine07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wanted to update- I have ordered a sofa from Byrd and Co. It has been a good experience so far. I am supposed to receive the sofa in the next week or two. I ordered in a greenhouse design fabric and had the sofa slipcovered vs. upholstered. The ordering process was very easy - i did it all by email directly with Brad.
    Catherine

• salviastreet
    16 years ago

When you get your sofa in let us know how you like it!

• dr.dirt
    16 years ago

Hello All,

I have been watching garden web for quite some time but have not posted until now. I love gardening and will post pictures of my garden very soon. Regarding Byrd and Co. furniture-- I ordered a english roll arm chair and matching chair with down cushions. The chair has casters. It is absolutely beautiful. Also Brad is a great person to work with. I will answer any questions that you have so please do not hesitate to ask me.
    Stephanie

• catherine07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did get my sofa in mid-January and I love it. It is very high quality and the price was very reasonable. I paid $1500 (175 of that was shipping) for a 88 inch, spring down, slipcovered sofa. It was COM kind of. I had already identified my fabric and it turned out Greenhouse design carried the fabric I wanted I went through them. So in essense I got a totally custom sofa. The model I got was 9103-3SC. I want to post a pic but they make it such a pain on this site. maybe I can put it on an external site and link to it. I also worked with Brad and he was great- very personal service.

-Catherine

• shelleyq23
    14 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum but was wondering if anyone else knows anything about Byrd Furniture company in Newton NC. It seems the members who said they bought from them are no longer members. I would like to know if they are legitimate and the quality of their products. Thank you.
    Shelley

• salviastreet
    14 years ago

I did end up ordering two club chairs from Byrd & Company. I furnished my own fabric (Schumacher, from a designer upholstery dealer on eBay). I thought the price was reasonable, but have to say I was disappointed in the quality of the upholstery job. Seams were coming loose immediately, the two skirts are of uneven lengths, the fabric is just not as taut as it should be and they were looking worn after only a short time. They look a little "homemade". I will say that it may be that the fabric was difficult to work with or something. Brad was very nice and communicative throughout the ordering process. I could have contacted him again to complain, but I guess I was "satisfied enough" for what I paid, which was less than half of the Stickley chairs I was copying, and considering the long distance it didn't seem like much could be done. It did not rise to the level of sending them back -- though he genuinely seems the type to want to make things right.

So this is just one person's experience; it seems there are more who were completely happy. Take it for what it's worth!

• shelleyq23
    14 years ago

Thank you for your response. Could you also tell me how long it took for you to receive your chairs from the time you placed your order?

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

• Lisa Matthews
    2 years ago

Does Byrd and Co have a website?