Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islanddevil

PolyWood patio furniture?

islanddevil
11 years ago

I'm tired of repainting my wood Adirondack chairs....unless you can suggest a primer and paint that holds up when left outside in San Diego year round. The spot where I have them against a white fence needs color and they're currently red.

Haven't seen any locally, but website says they never require painting are heavy and feel like wood, but hesitant to order online sight unseen.

Anyone have or seen PolyWood Adirondacks...or PolyWood anything? Was wondering what you think of it. Thanks!

Comments (35)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

I can't think of to many cities where the climate is as good as it gets in San Diego, and that goes for outdoor furniture. Unless you live within a block of the ocean, as the salt air can rust/corrode the toughest of metals. Im thinking its the type of wood your chairs are built from and to some degree the paint your using or the way your preparing the surface. Redwood would be the first choice here for price/performance. You can always go with teak wood but its much more. Or Home Depot has polywood for the DIY.

• islanddevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Rmanbike.

Our chairs are teak and are left outside all year. I'm a few miles from the beach, but the sun and elements still do a number on the paint. I thinking of buying new ones made of PolyWood not a DIY to build my own with Polywood.
    Here's some at this website. http://www.polywood-furniture.com/polywood-chairs/polywood-adirondack-chairs?gclid=CMH84u6b-LUCFetFMgodCQgASw

Just afraid to pull the trigger without seeing one in person or hearing how others liked them.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

If the chairs are real teak wood, then I would see the problem your having in trying to paint them. The general rule of thumb is to not paint teak wood. Because they just wont hold paint. Actually teak wood requires no preservatives, treatment or paint at all. Just left alone outside in the most extreme weather conditions and the wood will last forever.
    I think your trading in the best wood for outdoors meaning teak and thinking that polywood is better choice for durability. But if what your wanting to do is actually change the color of the wood by painting, then polywood is a better choice because you can paint it. But just know that you will need to repaint them ever 1 to 2 years.

• islanddevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh I didn't know that about teak and paint! Probably explains why even the primer eventually peals off. We got these for a song at least 10 years ago and they're still going strong. I almost wish they'd fall apart so I have a better excuse to get new ones! We have a lot of Danish Modern teak inside that we oil now and then and it's beautiful, but we didn't want natural or greyed outside. Need some color. Supposedly the color goes all the way thru PolyWood so they don't have need to be repainted. That's the draw, however it is nice to be able to paint these any color I want so may try repainting one more season. . Thanks!

• Karen Eagle
    11 years ago

I have polywood outdoor furniture for 8 + years (bench, arm chairs, coffee table, plant table and 2 Adirondacks.) I leave them outside all winter (Live in NY). In the spring I spray them with bleach and water and power wash them (NOT a super powerful power washer). I use cushions to make the seats more comfortable. I am very happy with the product.

• islanddevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kge9 Appreciate the info and cleaning tips. Can you please tell m where you purchased yours? Was it online or a national chain? Thanks.

• Karen Eagle
    11 years ago

I purchased the polywood furniture online from a company in Las Vegas. Not many places sold it - I think it was fairly new at the time. I didn't see the company when I just googled polywood. I thought I would recognize the name. I would go by the best price. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

• joseph004
    11 years ago

Furniture that is used on a patio, deck, or other outdoor setting needs to be strong and durable enough to handle any condition that nature throws its way. Polywood patio furniture is among the toughest in the industry.One major benefit of investing in polywood furniture is that it requires very little maintenance once placed on your patio or deck.Thanks.

• islanddevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thomas. Thanks for the additional info and link. Is that where your purchased? Looks like there are a few different adirondaks; which style and color did you buy?

How about the rest of yiu that have Polywood; what color did yoiu purchase?
    Thanks!.

• violetjm
    11 years ago

I'm looking into buying this type of furniture too. You might want to check out the offerings at L.L. Bean online. I'm not sure if it's the Polywood brand. However, the prices seem similar to the ones I saw at the Polywood web site. There are limited colors at L.L. Bean, but I'm leaning toward ordering from them because they have such a great guarantee. It's a forever guarantee. Also, there are a lot of pieces available (chairs, tables, rocking chairs, dining sets) and there are a lot of customer reviews, which you may find helpful. They sell chair pads for them also. Good luck.

• Karen Eagle
    11 years ago

When I purchased my furniture, white was the only choice - which is what I wanted. I bring in color with cushions.

• Joe
    11 years ago

Just purchased 5 poly adirondack chairs this week after extensive research. Purchased the Phat Tommy brown via Overstock. Free shipping. Only the arms required assembly. Very, very heavy-won't blow away in the wind. Hubby, a picky one about chair seating, loves them. With the current 10% outdoor product discount and another personal discount card, they were approx $220 each.

Highly recommend.

• MarkBacon
    10 years ago

Hey try reading this post. Hope it can lift out your hesitation on polywood.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Benefits-of-Polywood-Outdoor-Furniture-in-Commercial-Properties&id=5471692

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Teak has natural oil in the wood. That's why your paint won't stick.

Down here is Florida, I see polywood Adirondack chairs daily where the seats and arms have sagged over time because of the heat and people sitting in them.

I would strip the teak and then apply the appropriate oil to refurbish the finish.

• Scott Anderson
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My wife and I purchased our polywood furniture from an online retailer called DutchCrafters. It was part of their Berlin Garden Collection and the quality is amazing! They are heavy and offer the look of painted wood, but they are made from recycled materials so they hold up well. In the time that we've had them, I've used soap and water to clean any pollen off of them and they are as good as new. Past that, there is no maintenance needed like repainting or sealing them. I would never go back to wood, not even teak. This is where we got our polywood chairs if anyone is interested.

http://www.dutchcrafters.com/collection/832/berlin-gardens-polywood-outdoor-furniture

• C L
    8 years ago

Be careful, our polywood furniture faded badly. The manufacturer told us to put armoral on it to protect it, but only after the fact.

• PRO
    PatioBros.com
    8 years ago

We love Polywood. I have not seen any issues with fade on it, but if you're interested Frog Furnishings also has color options and their resin based furniture is solid.

• kcmbathremo
    8 years ago

What color polywood faded? Was it Polywood brand?

• User
    7 years ago

We have had some white Polywood patio furniture for over 7 years and it looks brand new. We would never think of replacing it with wood or metal furntiure, most of which is very light in weight and will blow off the deck with a strong breeze let alone a fierce wind. Our Polywood is heavy enough to stay put and it has not deteriorated in the slightest. Initiatially we thought it was very expensive but seven years later with furniture that is good as new, doesn't need painting and cleans up with a wet cloth, we know it was a very smart and cost effective purchase. Don't even consider anything else....get Polywood.

• atiman
    7 years ago

I have 12 Polywood bar seats in black. I ordered online about 3 years ago without seeing these but I had seen a few at friends homes and in stores. These have held up so well. Make sure it's the Polywood brand. I've noticed that in other polywood furniture the screws show which to me it look cheap. All I do is wipe down in the begining of the season with some dawn soap and water. Then wipe clean before use to remove any pollen dust, etc throughout the rest of the season. I ordered from barstoolsdirect with a discount.

• checol
    7 years ago

We bought turquoise Breezesta three years ago and it has been outside in the salt air on the beach since purchased. Heavy, doesn't blow around in the wind. No fading at all. Does not get hot or sticky in the sun. Extremely comfortable Adirondack chairs. Lifetime warranty. Expensive but worth it.

• Tracy Weathersby Knudsen
    5 years ago

Any recent discussions on Poly-Wood? I am in the market to buy within the next couple of months and think I am definitely going with Poly-Wood. Just wanted to hear from others that own some and see how it’s holding up. I am wanting to go with the black, anyone have any in black and can tell me if it fades? Thank you

• lorisplace_nonnie
    5 years ago

Thanks

• Debbie Bell
    5 years ago

Avoid Plywood white, impossible to clean the crevices that are inherent in this type of product.

• Steve B
    3 years ago

We have had red Polywood chairs for ten years. They are comfortable and structurally sound (just tighten the screws up now and then) but the color has faded significantly, like a very faded Nantucket red.

• Lisa
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’m thinking of buying black Polywood adirondack chairs. Do they have the look, feel, and appearance of wood? Or, do they feel like plastic?

• C L
    3 years ago

I really liked them at first, but they ended up fading to almost white. :-(

• Lisa
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Did you begin with black chairs, CL?

• yeh_yeh
    3 years ago

I am also thinking of buying Polywood furniture in black, sounds like I should avoid that and might be better off to get gray so even if it fades it's not that noticeable? But I really like the look of black with the natural cushion. It's disappointing that they claim their color doesn't fade and it actually does...

• kecoleman
    3 years ago

I love the Polywood but my husband didn’t like how it feels on his arms. Does anybody else have that problem?

• Debbie Bell
    3 years ago

I notice this before annual July cleaning. When you clean with Spray Nine followed by a thorough power spray, it feels smooth again in my opinion.

• countsc
    3 years ago

I have read on Polywood’s website, the darker colors become “warmer” in the sun...Anyone with black Polywood advise how hot the furniture actually will get? I’ve had aluminum chaise chairs that will burn you in full sun. Just wondering if the black Polywood will do the same. Thanks

• Lisa
    3 years ago

I have black chairs and don’t recall them getting that hot over the summer, but they do only get the morning sun.

• Rose Bee
    last year

Terrible quality. They shopped us defective chairs twice. Then they keep asking us to take the chairs to Fed Ex and drop the defective chairs off to be shipped back. After 3 months of back and forth this is what I wrote them:

"Sorry...my husband and I are in our 60s and we both have back problems so dropping these chairs off for you at Fed Ex is not an option for us. The boxes did get wet in the last storm and they are drying out now. Hopefully they will stay in good shape.Honestly, this is not our problem to solve. Polywood is sending out defective merchandise to customers. Not once. Twice. After months of communication we finally get boxes to shop them back. My husband and I painstakingly dry off the chairs and package them up and tape the boxes for you for pick up. The unsightly boxes have been out in front of our house for a month now. Due to the holiday season we are putting them in an area behind the house for pick up.At this point, we feel as if we are being harassed by Polywood. If you want to pick up the defective chairs you sent us then just do it. Stop asking us to do your work. Thank you