Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaljr82

Reclaimed Wood Dining Table

kaljr82
11 years ago

So my father is building my wife and I a large dining table from reclaimed old growth, heart wood pine from a barn and we are trying to figure out how to finish it.

My dad is a woodworker by trade but has never done a piece like this. We want a finish on it that will offer some degree of protection from spilled liquids, but we do not want a glossy sheen that even satin spray on finishes leaves.
We want it to look natural with a pretty flat finish.

We are not staining the wood, just leaving it natural.

Any input would be AMAZING!

thanks!

Comments (5)

• sloyder
    11 years ago

I would get this Rustoleum finish if you want a natural look, click on the link.

The european country pine furniture would just have a coat of wax which provides very little protection, and would need waxing yearly. If you want something like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Matte Polyurethane

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

The guy that made our walnut DR table used a (proprietary) mixture of tung oil and ??? on ours I think. Kind of like his version of Waterlox.

I am overdue to buff some orange oil into/on the wood (supposed to be done once or twice a year), but the wood seems okay. Sometimes I'll use Guardsman on it instead (thinner/lighter in viscosity, and lighter smell--orange oil is very orange-y!).

• journeyeast
    10 years ago

If the wood is reclaimed, then it would already be very nicely weathered and suited for the great outdoors. Perhaps you can just consider a light coat of wax (like beeswax or carnauba wax) and that should help against watermarks and stains, though we think any staining that fades with time will actually add to the character and beauty of the 'imperfection'! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Reclaimed teak wood outdoor dining tables

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

If you decide to use a varnish/poly finish consider the following and this can be applied by a brush. Purchase a product made by a company called Fine Paints of Europe. Their US office is in Vermont. Apply two coats of their Gloss Marine Varnish as this will give you a good solid base and good UV protection followed by two coats of their Eurothane Varnish Satin. This give you a very beautiful matt furniture finish. It is easy to apply, dries quickly. It is not streaky or lumpy like many Varnishes and you don't need to be an expert to have good results. Thin each coat by 10% with thinner. Lightly scuff between coats. They do have their own thinner but any thinner will really do. It is important to buy some paper strainers and strain before using as you should strain an poly or varnish. Stir well before using and use a good brush. Make sure the surface is well prepared before starting.

• Appliedergonomics
    10 years ago

You can used a Natural Oil Wood Finish.Environmentally friendly, these natural oils are manufactured from refined vegetable oils and waxes. They work by soaking down into the surface of the wood in order to protect the material from within its upper layer.. While these do not cause any harmful emissions, and have no negative impact on the environment, they are also not quite as effective and will need to be reapplied more often than other finishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago Office Furniture