Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for glass table edge protection

Posted by akatricia (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 15:06

We had a 2" thick custom made glass table installed in our kitchen. In one spot, the edge of our metal chair has chipped the bottom edge of the table. The chair swivels and I think it just hit the table enough times to make the chip. Does anyone have any ideas for edge protection? The table is a free form shape, so traditional edge protectors won't work. It's really kind of a work of art, with paint swirls in between the layers of the glass, so we don't want to cover any of it up. I was thinking of a clear, thick transparent tape of some sort that I could just put on the bottom rim of the table. But, I haven't been able to find any type of tape that I think will work. Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for glass table edge protection

suggest building it up with epoxy ( araldite ) then sanding smooth, polish with
a car polish and pigment with paint if necessary

o
RE: Need ideas for glass table edge protection

Recommend you purchase clear tubing size of chair part hitting the table edge. Cut the tubing to the length that will meet contact with the table. Then cut a straight line down the piece of clear tubing and slip on the chair area. Do this for each chair. Now your table will stay protected and the clear tubing will be hardly noticeable on the chairs.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here