Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fabric for antique sofa

Posted by burningmustard (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 14:01

Looking for a fabric that will make this antique sofa seems a little less formal. Looking to spend around $15-$20 a yard.

Have been thinking of simple pattern in earth tones. Does anyone have any recommendations, or a website where I could see similar sofas made to look less formal.

Thanks!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fabric for antique sofa

What you are asking is rather like asking how to make a sequined evening gown less formal.
That style is high style Victorian....but not sure how "
Antique" it is.
The fabric you have on there is right for the style.....you could do it up in a rough cotton, but it would look very strange to me.
I have seen pieces like that with the wood painted white or black and the fabric done in buffalo checks....but I thought it looked very strange.

o
RE: Fabric for antique sofa

heavy-weight fabric can be had for $5-7 a yard at your local outlets (in the Philly region, JoMar is it, not sure what your area has) but, of course, the question is what?

I have a hate-hate thing going on with Victorian-style sofas, and when I must work with them, I opt for things like gaudy vinyl (scary stuff with sparkles in it) or rough ethnic prints - Guatemalan stripes, Bali Ikats, African Mudcloth, Japanese 'folk' indigo weaves...that at least speak of the colonial history that went with the era.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here