Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishnwell_gw

Latex Mattress 2011: Update your experience?

wishnwell
13 years ago

The latest posts I can find on latex mattresses are fairly old: can some of you who bought your mattresses a few years ago please help those of us who are in the market for a natural latex mattress right now?

Some of you bought from Flobeds...are you happy still with your purchase? Do the layers shift on you, or do they stay put? Might it be better to buy a mattress with the layers already laminated together?

I want a king bed, but in the tons of research I've been doing, I've read that the mattress is so heavy that some people have bought two extra-long kings and put them together.

It appears to me that buying online is the way to go, and I would value input from those of you who went that route. Still happy after a few years? What are the most important questions to ask, e.g. return cost involved, is a non-prorated warranty a strong consideration, name of online company you bought from and your hindsight on the purchase, how important is the foundation/box spring and did you buy both pieces from the same company?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but it's a major purchase and we'll take any input you feel like sharing. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• wishnwell
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Sarah. I've read a gazillion reviews online, some mentioned in threads here and several i found on my own, but most seem to be "sponsored" by a retailer and therefore are somewhat suspect. I'd like to know what real people really think about their latex mattresses. Someone just revived an old thread yesterday by posting a negative about a Simmons Natural Care latex mattress she bought 3 months ago that is already showing body impressions. I'd decided that the "brand" companies like Sealy and Simmons aren't producing as good a product as some of the highly rated (BBB) online companies like Flobeds and Habitat.

• wishnwell
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for that great information and referral, Denali. Those two and Habitat were the companies that sounded best from my research.

How long have you had your queen bed?

• denali2007
    13 years ago

Had it about 3 years. Like I said, best money I ever spent. It's like sleeping on air.

• dssxxxx
    13 years ago

We have had a King size for about 6 years and turn it every 6 months (you cannot flip it). We bought the top of the line and cost was around $3600. We would buy another in a minute. Google: Gold Bond Mattresses

We also bought a latex king from Sears for about $2K for our home in FL.

Good luck with your choices.

• snaggle
    13 years ago

Well, our experience has been different than the vast majority of the folks here. We bought a latex king combination from one of the main suppliers I read about on this forum, back in 2004. I think it was sleep EZ, but I am not sure. They were fine to deal with, and that is not the issue. We are now ready to change to something else (actually long overdue) because my husband is really getting back problems from our bed. We have shifted the layers a few times to try and make it firmer, but it just doesn't give him the support he thinks he needs. Further, it sags in the center of each side, where we sleep. It seemed to do this fairly soon after we bought it, so about 4 years ago, I had a local mattress place make us a box spring set for underneath. I had hoped that would help with the sagging issue, but it did not. The only part now that is good is right down the middle, where it has had the least use over the years and where the two box springs meet. I did speak to Shawn at sleep ez and I am going to just try taking out the box spring and softest layer of the latex and see if that helps. I wish I could recommend the latex, but for us, it hasn't been quite what we hoped.
    Do not worry about the layers because the padded cover they fit snugly inside keeps it all in place. Good luck with your purchase.

• Brent B
    13 years ago

We have bought a latex mattress from Essentia, not sure if you can get it in the USA (it is Canadian made), and we're enjoying it.

You should go to the site, even if you can not get it in the US, it has some info that you should consider there when purchasing a latex mattress.

It's not cheap.

www.myessentia.com

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

In my opinion I would go with either a high quality Latex mattress or a Tempurpedic.

• marys1000
    9 years ago

I didnt know latex sagged. Isn't that one of the big reasons for buying one is that it doesn't sag like coil?