Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovegardening_gw

How to find out how much a grandfather clock is worth?

ilovegardening
17 years ago

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question, but I didn't know where else to post!

My mother has a Charles R Sligh grandfather clock that she wants to sell. However, since Sligh no longer makes clocks we're having a hard time figuring out what price range we should expect for this particular model. Does anyone have any ideas on how to pin this down? I suspect that it'll be in the over $5,000 range, but I really can't be sure!

Comments (14)

• mogator88
    17 years ago

I don't know about grandfather clocks, but in general something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If its a true antique its worth more. Frankly with the economy the way it is and with so much Chinese import product available, I think only a true collector would spend that kind of money on a clock, and then only for a true collectable. Try to find out more about Sligh clocks and how they compare to other makes, I'm sure there's an online community somewhere for clocks and they could be of more help.

• mactruck
    17 years ago

I believe you need to post more info if you want someone to answer the question better.

How old is the clock?
    What Condition is it?
    Any Special Characteristics? (ie: Limited edition or special clock wind mechanism?)

You may be able to get a better idea with some more detailed information.

• tom_nwnj
    17 years ago

I hope you do well in selling. I just think that the market for used Sligh clocks is weak, not strong.

I heard that Sligh stopped selling clocks for a good reason, e.g., they weren't selling.

Furniture is supposed to be 1) functional 2) pretty. Technology can have an impact on furniture styles. Hey, almost everywhere I look, I can see what time it is. Why do I need a 5K clock to tell me what I know?

Personally, I own two grandfather clocks. I like them.

Lower your expectations. Sell the clock where you can.

Good Luck

• ilovegardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far! I really don't know a lot about the clock, except that it was purchased about 15-20 years ago and was at the high end of the Sligh line. It's a beautiful clock...but I know virtually NOTHING about grandfather clocks, so I can't even answer the most basic questions some of you have posed. I have some pictures I've taken of it, including its serial number, but other than that I just don't have anything to go on.

And please note that I wasn't expecting pricing info here, just hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction as to HOW (or where) to find out this clock's worth. But if my providing additional info can help someone here narrow down the price, all the better! If seeing the pictures I've taken would help, let me know.

Thanks again.

• mogator88
    17 years ago

Call some clock dealers and see what they have to say. Ask too if they take consignments.

• jyyanks
    17 years ago

ilovegardening - try the antiques forum, there are some pretty saavy people in that forum that may be able to help. Can you post a picture? I did that when I was looking for the value of a curio and several people chimed in. I would also call a local antique dealer and see what he/she would offer for it.

• john_wc
    15 years ago

We had a top of the line Sligh clock. It was cherry and mahogany and had the best sounded chime I have ever heard in a grandfather clock. I don't remember what we paid but we sold it for $2,000 on eBay.

• brandorch_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a grandfather clock for sale do not know what it is worth i have called all the dealers in my town and surrounding and i get the same answer hmm idk so no straight answers i know that it is over a 100 years old it is german and there are names on a metal tab on the inside of the door those names are zimmermann&bruckner then below that dresden 1 seestrasse 4 i do have pics that i can send i just need help so if you have any info please let me know thank you

• dogwoodrdg_charter_net
    12 years ago

My aunt recently died and we have a Sligh Model 0802-1-AN grandfather clock with movement #6434, serial #149-118-6210 and was registered in 1989. The clock is in excellent condition and still sounds beautiful. We are trying to determine value and to sell. Any assistance would be greatly appreciate.

• lbclock_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a sligh grandfather mdl 0959-2-te reg 127-031-01 mvt 500-0029 solid white in color how old, whats it worth

• tjones2342
    7 years ago

I have a Vintage Piper Grandfather Clock. How much is it worth?

• Lori Barton
    5 years ago

I have an Eternal Timeless Love Grandfather clock, I would love to know what it is worth...

• BRIAN
    4 years ago

hello Lori, Fantastic clock. How long have you had it and whats its legacy?