Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrine822_gw

Amish Furniture Recommendations

katrine822
11 years ago

Hello Everyone,
We are in the market for a bedroom set and are heavily leaning towards Amish made after being completely wowwed with the table and chairs we recently purchased. I am looking for recommendations on the actual Amish craftsman that people have used - not the stores that they purchased them from. We have looked at Jacob & Levi, Canal Dover (J&L is under this umbrella), Millcreek and Schwartz to name a few. The people who made our table specialize in tables/chairs and do not make bedroom pieces:(

We are looking for an upper end furniture maker - someone who will make heirloom pieces. I welcome any recommendations. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Not familiar with those names in my area...

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Canal Dover has been around for as long time and makes an excellent product.

• bsusan
    11 years ago

You don't say what area of the country you live, but if you have any crafts fairs around, try them because they ususally have vendors there and you can get a very good idea of the kind of furniture they make. I have a recommendation for one. He lives in PA but may ship.

• katrine822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. We live in the Chicago area but are willing to see someone's work. We like traditional vs mission/craftman. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. The problem we are finding is everything we've looked at has wobbly drawers - even with heavier glides they still wobble.

• bsusan
    11 years ago

Have you visited any Amish shops yourselves? I have learned from experience that a reputable seller is as important as the builder because they will only work with the better craftsmen and will stand by what they sell.

Below is the link for the builder with whom am dealing and I have seen his furniture in person.

www.amishfurnitureshoppe.net.

I can vouch for the quality of his furniture. He had dining tables and chairs, occasional tables and a bed on the floor at the fair and it had extra supports for the frame which you don't see a lot. I believe they will ship. His prices are really good but I don't know what the shipping costs would be. He is in PA.

Also, another dealer I have been speaking to is www.AmishWBF.com. The man's name is Galen and is very knowledgeable and has been very helpful. His prices are great and his shipping is really reasonable. I believe he will be honest with you about the best builders for the set you want. I am really impressed with him.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

• katrine822
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again. The first link posted is not a builder per se - it's a shop/dealer in the Chicagoland area. Is there a specific manufacturer you are referencing that this store carries? The other site is very informative as it breaks down by the manufacturer. Thanks again for the info!

• bsusan
    11 years ago

Sorry about that. I mistakenly posted the wrong link. The correct link is
    www.solidoakandcherry.com,and the builder's name is Josh Miller. I know he is doing a show in our area this weekend so if you don't reach him right away, that will be why. He is the builder whose furniture I have seen first hand.