Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cats and Leather Furniture Question, Please

Posted by trudymom (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 12:27

I am in need of a new couch and am wanting a leather couch, but I have a cat. Do cats seem to want to scratch leather?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Cats and Leather Furniture Question, Please

They don't want to scratch it exactly but they will do so by jumping on and off of it. I have a couple of leather chairs with scratches. I manage to cover the scratches by using shoe polish.

Try to keep your cat's claws short by getting your vet to clip them every so often, of maybe you could do this yourself.

o
RE: Cats and Leather Furniture Question, Please

Ditto what the PP said. Our cats have never clawed our leather but there are still tons of marks, mostly on the arms from the cats jumping on or off. Keeping the back claws clipped has helped a bit.

o
RE: Cats and Leather Furniture Question, Please

I have seen cats absolutely destroy leather furniture in less then 24 hours after being introduced into the home. It depends on your particular cat. Some go after it, others do not. But if they decide to rip it up, they can ruin the piece.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here