Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this worth $700

Posted by brutuses (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 10, 09 at 11:24

Someone wants to sell me this mahogany secretary for $700. They say they purchased it from an antique dealer 10 years ago for this price. Is this a good price for this item?

Thanks so much.

secretary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this worth $700

It looks beautiful. The real question is.... what is it worth to YOU.

Will you enjoy it for years to come? If you have it for 10 years that works out to about $6 a month. For many people $6 buys about 2 days of cable TV.

o

I plan on having it till I die and I should be around at least 10-15 more years. LOL I know I'm seeing these around for $1,000+ so I figure this is a good price. Didn't know if I'd be very cheeky to ask the seller to take less for it. Thanks for your input.

o

Absolutely it is. Single Board Mahogany Desk Lid, Bow Front, Ball and Claw foot. Decent form. Its not an antique, but certainly worth the asking price.

o

Thanks for the confirmation. Now all I need to do is convince DH. Thanks again.

o

You can always ask the if they'll take less.

o

ask if they'll take less. most people want to get rid of something large usually will. try.

o

I had to pass on this piece as it wouldn't fit in the spot I had planned for it. Thanks everyone for your input.

o

brutuses, in the hopes of making you feel better about not getting it, I believe there's a chance it is NOT worth over $600. Did you see the one that renofan redid? Hers is similar to this one, which is like one I have. They are quite common in antique/consignment stores. Now this one may have been of a much higher quality than those I've seen,and certainly nicer than mine,( ugly, cracked paint) but they seem to range, in shops, from $250- 600, depending on the quality.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here