Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fnboyd

Ballard Design Quality?

fnboyd
15 years ago

I really like the office armoires in the Ballard Design catalog but am unsure about quality. I have barstools from them that are well made but nothing else.

Have any of you purchased large pieces from them? If so what do you think about their quality.

The ones I am interested in are the Chadwick and the Verona armories.

Thanks,

faye

Comments (5)

• juliatallmadge
    15 years ago

Faye,
    We had the Stafford computer armoire and I was very happy with the quality. The piece was well constructed right down to the hardware (with the soft glide hinges on the door etc.) It was a heavy, solid piece of furniture. Ballard was also v. helpful is supplying me with the exact dimentions of all the interior spaces so I could be sure our computer fit. I was nervous to order such a large piece sight-unseen, but was very happy with it.
    Hope that helps,
    Julia

• fnboyd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Julia. I have the same concerns about ordering without seeing but your post made me feel much better.

faye

• myredhouse
    15 years ago

I have a desk system I purchased from them (I was torn between it an an office armoire at the time) and it is great quality. It came practically in one piece and is very solid. Drawers slide smoothly, finish (I got white) was excellent, and shipping was quick.

Good luck!

• gldnfan
    15 years ago

I had a Hooker Office Armoire and then I purchased a smaller Ballard one - the Hooker was huge - for our rental.

No question the Hooker was far better made - a piece of furniture that will last through generations. I sold it for only $500 less than I paid 5 years later.

However, the Ballard is perfectly acceptable and has held up well. Certain things - like the desk surface - are looser after a couple years use. But the overall structure seems quite sound and the finish was very nice.

I think the value of Ballard is that they really do have a selection of furniture that fits very specific needs. It s always possible to find a good furniture deal if you work at it - I got the Hooker at a place that sells all furniture at 30% or more off retail - the very same piece at Crate&Barrel was $1200 more than I paid. So The hooker was a much better value for my money. However, the Ballard was exactly the size and function I needed so it was also a value in a different way.

• rockmanor
    15 years ago

Just bumping this up to comment on a recent (very positive) experience with Ballard Designs. A small piece of furniture was damaged due to the delivery company's negligence (or perhaps it's more accurate to say their driver's laziness.) I contacted Ballard and they handled the situation quite promptly, and without any inconvenience to me, unlike some other experiences I've had. They now have a loyal customer in me.