Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get new big couch through small doorways

Posted by 3kidsonedogandus (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 9:55

I am about to purchase a couch to go in my family room at the BACK of the house. whose measurements are Overall: W86" D40" H36".

My FRONT door is W33" H83". All other interior doors are no wider than 32" and no taller than 79". Unless I am missing something, I don't think getting it through the front door is going to be possible.

If the couch were to come in through the back, the only access into the family room is a sliding glass patio door. Again, the height of that door is 79" and the width, if I remove the door that can slide, is 33".

My ultimate question now is - Is it possible to remove the center "pole" in between the stationary door and the sliding door. If that is possible, then that would be ideal because then I can actually purchase the couch that I desperately want.

If there is anyone out there with experience moving larger furniture through small openings and especially through sliding glass door openings, I'd love to hear from you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get new big couch through small doorways

The feet on most large furniture can be removed for just this reason. If you have feet that are 3 inches or more tall and removeable, you may be just fine.

o

Are the back cushions removeable?

What type of pole is between the glass panels. I have never heard of this. Most glass panels are easy to remove. Often times you have to unscrew a strip across the top of the panels and then lift the glass up and out.

You might call a glass company if you are uncertain yourself.

o

Sounds like you should select a different couch!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here