Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upholstered Couch Seams do not match

Posted by shelley4 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 9:44

I recently purchased a Smith Brothers sofa in a custom fabric. The Fabric is a large floral that at first glance is almost random, but in fact repeats in intervals of three. The seams at arms and particularly along the back do not begin to match -- a large white flower cut in half sewn up against a blue leaf or fern segment of the pattern.

Should I have turned the sofa away upon delivery? Is this unacceptable? At first I was just so happy with the fabric itself in this room that I didn't notice the mismatched seams. I assume they thought the large splashy pattern didn't require the same seam matches as a stripe would have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upholstered Couch Seams do not match

That's a shame; I wonder what the workroom would have to say, but more importantly the store or designer that placed the order should have warned you if the large pattern repeat did not lend itself to the smaller surface of a chair.

o

I know how you must feel. The pattern on my Smith Brothers chairs aren't matched either. Mine is a very "scrolly" floral, so I don't think it's super noticable unless your looking for that sort of thing. But still, for what this furniture cost, I expected better.

Totally Confused

o

I've been back and forth with the store and Smith Brothers. What they finally said was, "Our committee decided that the fabric was busy enough that the mismatched seams would not be noticed. We matched just the front cushions. Matching the seams would have made the couch several hundreds of dollars more expensive because we would have had to use much more fabric."

I responded that the couch is facing a fireplace with the back open to the room, so mismatched seams are extremely noticeable. I also said that I should have been given the option to pay the "many hundreds of dollars" or to choose another fabric if matching seams were impossible. I told them I would like an estimate for replacing the mismatched panels; barring that I would like to return the couch.

Haven't heard back yet. But every site I visit about "how to judge quality upholstery" mentions matching the pattern at the seams.

o

I would've had the same conversation, and reaction, that you had, Shelley.

Thank goodness my soon-to-be-delivered Smith Brothers section is in a no-repeat design! I'd hate to have send back a huge three sided sectional!!

Good luck -- and let us know how it turns out!!

o

A word to the wise; anytime your purchasing fabric that has a repeat, check with the manufacturer where and what they match. Their are yardage charts showing how much additional percentage of fabric is needed for every size of repeat, vertical and horizontal. Most large pattern fabrics are designed so that you can seam together opposite sides to match the pattern. In any case you cant always blame the manufacturer because you not ask about this before purchasing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here