Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quality Sleeper Sofa for $1500?

Posted by MrHomeGuy (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 9:30

Hey all, I've been doing a bunch of reading here about various brands/models I've come across and it seems like most of them get fairly negative reviews regarding build quality.

I don't believe I need something that's going to last 10-20 years.. I probably won't *need* this more than 3 years. However, if I have the option to get something that might last longer at a similar price point I'm obviously keen towards that.

Design is certainly a factor as well.. something with thinner lanes coming in at under 80" is ideal. For example, we were heavily considering the C&B Davis Sleeper... but while the reviews on the website are mostly great, it seems you fine folk have a pretty strong (negative) opinion about McCreary Modern who manufactures this particular couch.

We had an Ektorp sofa from IKEA once and loved it (especially for the price we paid!), but feel that at this point it's not the right design for what we're looking to do with our new apt.

I am also open to going to a more local type place (actually, preferred as I know I'm getting killed at a second hand retailer) but don't know of any though I'm sure there are tons (I'm on Long Island, NY).

Any suggestions as to a good full/queen sleeper under 80" in the $1500 price range? We'd go a few hundred higher if it made a big difference.

As for the C&B/Pottery Barn/West Elm/etc. type stuff, does this even hold up 3 years or will it START to look poor before then?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quality Sleeper Sofa for $1500?

Purchasing furniture based only on a brand name is not the best way to shop for furniture. Most important is to know how its made and materials used.
On a sofa sleeper unit the most important factors are the cushions (whats inside), the mattresses and the metal unit. None of these McCreary Modern makes, as a matter of fact 99% of any other upholstery manufacturers dont make either. They purchase all these from individual suppliers. Then upholster/assemble into a sofa sleeper.
C&B doesnt say exactly what they are using, so I would only go with a retailer that can supply this information. And for this price, the seat cushions should be a HR foam of a density of 2.0 or higher.

o
RE: Quality Sleeper Sofa for $1500?

Sleeper sofa is fantastic space saving and economical furniture that not only beautifies the room but also provides comfort, flexibility, style and luxury to your sitting and sleeping experience. It is one of the most practical and reliable investments making it worthy and essential part of modern home furniture.As far as price is concerned, you will find sleeper sofa beds in different ranges. Set your budget first and then start looking for it. But try never to compromise on the quality.

This post was edited by joseph004 on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 4:38

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here