Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaoden_gw

Lane glossy white lacquer bedroom set: Help!

kaoden
12 years ago

I like this bedroom set, but my budget is extremely limited, so I cannot afford an $800 mistake. Seller says it is by Lane furniture, wood with glossy white lacquer. Some pieces look a little yellowed, but otherwise seem to be in very good shape.

What I would like to know is more about the general quality of Lane furniture, and particularly if anyone can date these (approximately!).

Initially, I fell in love with their rounded edges and sleekness, but I have since started wondering if I am about to buy a lot of flimsy (or, worse yet, ponderous), hard-used furniture...

Side table

Headboard

Dresser

Comments (10)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I sold Lane furniture from 07-10 and never saw anything like that. Our store had no catalogs that included bedrooms, and their website doesn't include any bedroom furniture. Lane has a pretty good reputation for case goods in their price category, but my experience is limited to TV/entertainment pieces and cedar chests (and, of course, seating).

To make any judgments about the quality, you need pictures of the drawer joints, and the bottom and back of the pieces. I would be very wary, though, since the seller either seems to be mistaken or untrue about the manufacturer.

What pieces are included for $800?

• kaoden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, purpleinopp, thanks for the tips. I'm aware of checking out drawer joints (good dovetailing=good quality) and that I can look for a Lane logo and serial number. (Although there's no reason for me to suspect the seller yet, since he has been most helpful. He bought them about 25 years ago for a substantial amount of money.) But what should I look for on the bottoms/backs?

It's a lot of furniture for $800, no matter how you slice it. About 8 pieces plus mirrors.

I think the set is quite a bit older than 2007. To me it looks like a vision of the future from the 1980s -- or '70s, or '60s. To be honest, I was hoping it was quite a bit older than 25 years, because I am on a 50s/60s kick...

Kate

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    12 years ago

You should also look at the fact 25 years ago, for $800.00 got you much more furniture then for same amount $ as you get today.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Yes I agree. If it still looks like that after all these years, I'm sure it's well made, and has not been abused. I don't think any american-made furniture (which it probably would be, being that old) of that era would have been made using any of the modern shortcuts, and not survived if it had. If it were newer, you'd inspect the bottom for construction techniques, shortcuts like staples instead of screws, or ONLY glue, and the back could be cardboard or even corrugated plastic. At this point, you'd just want to make sure there has been no water damage at the bottom, and that the insides of the drawers look as clean and nice.

If you've seen all of the pieces and they look good, I'm sure they are. Sounds like a valid amount of decent furniture for the price to me. You could get something new for the same amount, but it would be crap that wouldn't last long.

• yogafan99
    7 years ago

I owned a set like this with a pedestal bed and other pieces. It was absolutely beautiful and held up very well, except for the drawers ended up not sliding that well anymore, but otherwise I was still in love with this bedroom set after 26 years, when we lost it in a fire. It was pricy when we bought it in 1989, but i thought it was well worth it. It lasted and the laquer finish never got a scratch or dent. I just loved it. The color we bought was called champagne, kinda off white. Loved it so much, i wish i could buy again. All I can find now is either white or black :( Unfortunately, the quality made back then was more affordable than it is today. This kind of quality would cost quite a bit more today.

• colorgrl1
    7 years ago

Like yogafan99 I had exactly the same Lane set you did down to the color. I had the platform bed w a low headboard u could place things on, 2 Bachelor chests for nightstands and a 6 drawer dresser that all seamlessly fit next to each other. I moved a lot and was tired of moving it. Was going thru a rough time and making bad decisions. I stupidly gave it all away with stipulations it be returned but of course the person disappeared. To this day I like you miss that Furniture (and beat myself up about giving it away) but realize I will never replace it. The closest I've come to the look is the Ikea Malm Series which I plan to buy. The quality however won't touch the Lane pieces by any stretch.

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    7 years ago

Lane,at one time, did have a full casegoods line. I think they now only offer their cedar chests & I do think I recall a collection like this. It was decent quality for the price point.

• HU-969086861
    3 years ago

Lane furniture definitely does not lack and quality. Does anyone know how to resurface or clean up the laqure finish? I was trying to avoid moving the furniture again because it is extremely heavy. Any ideas? I have the brass and cream pieces and I would love to bring them back to life. Thank you!

• Mary Beehn
    3 months ago

I still have the exact set and love it.. occasionally the drawers would give me a problem but my husband found parts to replace them and they are still working great