Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nerdyshopper

Need Advice about New Couch

nerdyshopper
15 years ago

I have been shopping for a new couch and read many pages of this forum. Locally I have found only Clayton Marcus at a price I could afford. I called Lexington furniture and spoke to Angela and got a quote on a Vanguard sofa because it was recommended in a thread here as less expensive than the top lines but good. When I described my needs for a good upper middle line, she recommended Taylor King and Sherril. I wonder if anyone has any experience with any of those or could compare a couple for me.

Comments (13)

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I should have said we're looking for a fabric couch for the family room. Angela said she could not recommend a fabric for us, we would have to get to a store and select one there. There are no such stores within 200 miles of here. Anyone got a recommend on a preferred cover to withstand messes by teenage and preschool grand-kids?

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

We just purchased a Clayton Marcus small sectional. It was in the price point we cound afford with the qualities and styling we were looking for. If you go to their website and read about the construction of their pieces I think you'll be pleased. We went through a furniture store named Lauter's (out of Pennsylvania), and the gentleman who helped us, Randy, was very knowledgeable about the products he sells. He said that since Clayton Marcus severed ties with LaZBoy and merged with Rowe, their quality has gone back to the way it was years ago, before the original merger with LaZBoy. From his detailed information, I got the impression that Clayton Marcus takes pride in the construction of its pieces and wants the satisfaction of its customers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clayton Marcus

• mogator88
    15 years ago

If you're going to use the local stores for information please give them the opportunity to sell to you. You use the government services paid for by their property taxes and sales taxes and income taxes, etc. So please give them a fair shot.

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

I agree about using a local store, whether that 'local' store is located 20 miles or 98 miles away. We ordered our sectional through Lauter's because not only did they give us the best competitive price without any hassles, but their staff is very helpful and knowledgeable and they deliver to our neck of the woods. After doing much research, they really impressed us with their service and capable sales staff.

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is my intention of buying from the local Clayton Marcus dealer if their quality matches the other makers I inquired about and if the cost is not a lot higher. I would be foolish to spend a lot more just to satisfy your conciences. If you think I should then either I am at the wrong forum or you are.

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

Just an FYI...Lauter's price quote was only $100 higher than ordering it from a NC furniture distributor.....without the hassle of worrying about:

What if the pieces arrive damaged?
    How will I send them back if they are damaged and how much will it cost me to repeat the shipping process?
    Frieght/trucking company vs. furniture store owned/affiliated delivery service.
    Quality control at the store level vs. shipping it out from NC for the long trip to NY without someone to "watch over me".

These are just some of the things we took into consideration. I'm certainly not suggesting you're either foolish or that you should satisfy my conscience (or anyone else's), but rather that you do your homework and compare apples to apples.

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My local dealer is very small. They had only 2 Clayton Marcus couches that could possibly work in my family room and both of those had dry clean only fabrics that were unsuitable in a home that had small children visiting regularly. So, if I purchase a couch there I will have to special order one and be faced with some of the problems you describe (not sure if they would be responsible for taking delivery or if it would be sent to my home). Thanks for the warnings though. I will have to consider if I should drive over 200 miles to search for a couch that I can actually see and sit on. I have very special demensions that I want and most makers only offer a couple of models that would work, so the chances of finding one is not all that sure anyhow.

• mogator88
    15 years ago

It is my intention of buying from the local Clayton Marcus dealer if their quality matches the other makers I inquired about and if the cost is not a lot higher. I would be foolish to spend a lot more just to satisfy your conciences. If you think I should then either I am at the wrong forum or you are.

Nobody is asking or suggesting you be foolish. Just considerate.

• nerdyshopper
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have ben reading a lot of threads about what and where to buy couches. In all of them the questions were asked and answered without criticism of the asker. For my innocent question I got criticism and advice to buy locally. Not an answer to my questions. I am a novice here but I really didn't expect that. I wonder if either of those responding has ever purchased from an on-line source or are you possibly connected to a local furniture store? Maybe I offend you but I was hurt by the unfriendly naure of your responses.

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

I don't understand how you could have interpreted any response you received as "unfriendly" or as "criticism". The suggestion to buy 'locally' was purely given as advice from those who have researched and looked at various options. I am a consumer, nothing more. I am not connected with any furniture store, but was simply sharing information about my own personal research and buying experiences.

If anyone should be offended it's the posters who have responded and have spent the time and energy to point out facts about the buying process.

Your statement:
    " I would be foolish to spend a lot more just to satisfy your conciences. If you think I should then either I am at the wrong forum or you are." is the response that is rude, critical and uncalled for.

Stick a fork in me...I'm done.

• mogator88
    15 years ago

I work in retail furniture sales. I have said many times in this forum, if your local dealer isn't worthy of your business then don't do business there. You have no obligation at all.

I don't know much about Lexington (the store), but they are not a mom-and-pop operation, they are much larger and more sophisticated than that. I really dislike that they would ask you to go to a dealer to look at fabrics, because an operation like that could and should take your credit card for security and perhaps for UPS charges to send you a set of fabrics for a week instead of sending their customers running around.

Those of us who work B&M retail are very sensitive to posts about salespeople sending customers to other stores for information. I'm truly sorry that I offended you, it was not my intention. I didn't pick up on your preference to shop locally.

• ellequint
    13 years ago

I want to clarify something for anyone reading this. People think they are getting the best prices by going to NC or shopping online. Experience has shown that all is well that ends well but there is more to this story. If you do have a problem, it will cost you far more than you ever dreamed. But I'd like to suggest another scenario for consideration that hasn't been addressed here. What happens when there are no more storefronts to go visit to see the product that you are then ordering from someone else? If everyone patronizes the online stores only or the furniture places in NC, what happens to our local business? Cheapest isn't always the best. And one person hwere was correct that the local stores are supporting your programs through their taxes. Why would you want to take your business to another state?

Just a thought...but a good one. And good luck to you if you do get furniture shipped. You may get lucky...but then again, are you willing to risk it? I'm just a consumer, by the way, who has made mistakes like this before. I speak from experience and now wisdom....

Help keep our storefronts in business....it is good for you and our economy.