Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak wood question

Posted by kryton (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 0:59

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a new dining table made from Oak.
Two of the table legs have many large white marks.
The guy at the shop tells me they are only "medallion rays"
commonly found on Oak.

To me they are unsightly marks.
Could somebody clarify this for me please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak wood question

These are called medullary rays and become pronounced when the oak is quarter sawn. Usually considered decorative, especially when they are displayed on the whole piece, and authentic to oak furniture built prior to WWII. After that, flat sawn lumber which didn't display medullary rays was used to save money and conserve wood. A table leg of oak, with four flat sides would usually display two sides featuring medullary rays and two sides not.

o
RE: Oak wood question

Someone2010's got this one nailed. Quarter sawn white oak was a characteristic of Arts & Crafts or Mission-style furniture, typified by G. Stickley and contemporaries.

Below is a photo of this. It will only get more prominent with a stain or finish on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ray fleck in white oak

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here