Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Barcalounger v Lane v Best or other recliner advice

Posted by sailormass (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 0:57

Hi--I think I've done my homework,and I've read other posts on gardenweb about recliners. I know that the general consensus is that a Hancock Moore or Bradlington Young is the best, and I am sure that they are worth the money.

My problem is that I'm buying a new house and I simply have a very limited budget for the few new pieces of furniture I'm buying. I need to buy something in my price range now, and then I'm hoping when my business picks up again in a few years, I'll be able to buy something higher-quality that will last a long time.

I need to buy two leather recliners. I'm not even mentioning La z boy because, even though I got a pair in the early nineties that lasted forever, I gather their quality has plummeted.

The three recliners I'm now looking at are: Lane's Havana (carried by my local Macy's); Barcalounger's Regency (carried by a reputable local store) and Best's Brodie.

The Lane was very comfortable and offered very good lumbar support. The back cushion went all the way down the seat--no gaps by your tailbone when you recline. Leather quality seemed excellent. Downside: it was obvious that the fabric had been stapled rather carelessly on the bottom and the frame seemed fine, but not fantastic.

The Barcalounger appeared to have excellent padding, nice leather wrapped around the entire chair, great stitching, a down-blend seat. It's in their "vintage reserve" collection, which I think is their premium line. It had a Leggett and Platt mechanism and the back cushions unzipped (I guess so that you could put more stuffing in them if you wanted). The lower back cushion did not quite extend all the way down my back when I reclined (granted, I reclined almost to a sleeping position). The recliner took some force to close.

The Best also had a Leggett and Platt reclining mechanism and seemed to be very well constructed, in terms of stitching, quality of leather, very little plywood and more hard wood in the part of the frame I could see. My local store had it only in the electric motion model, which was great, but I am a bit leery of whether that will go kaput after the one-year warranty on it expires.

The most comfortable, hands-down, was the Best. It's the same price as the lane, but three hundred dollars less than the Barcalounger. I can spring for the extra money for the Barcalounger if you folks think it's worth it.

I did stop by the la z boy store and sat in some very comfortable chairs, but they were quite expensive and I'm leery of spending that money for them if their quality is now so poor.

I should add that Best, Barcalounger and Lane all claim that these recliners are assembled in the USA with some foreign-made parts.

To summarize:

Best--most comfortable and economical, but I know little about the brand and am unsure about the life-span of the electric reclining mechanism.

Lane--good price, comfortable, very stylish.

Barcalounger--excellent padding, all leather, unsure about lumbar support, more expensive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm not really interested at looking at other brands right now--these are my choices. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Barcalounger v Lane v Best or other recliner advice

I worked at a furniture store a few years ago. I dont have any experience with the barcalounger. We did sell Best and Lane. In my opinion Best was a little overpriced for what it was. I priced out Best custom chairs and was flabbergasted at what the cost came out to be.
As I type this I am sitting in a Lane recliner. I chose the Lane recliner because the leather color choices fit my room.
It is used heavily daily. My 6'6" husband reclines in it comfortably, I sit in it daily. It is comfortable and has held up very well. My cats like to sit on the top of the back and have been doing so for a few years and you cant tell. It hasnt smushed at all. One thing I have noticed is that when I put the leg portion down from recline the mechanism has gotten louder, but still works just fine.

I know Lane isnt one of those names that screams great quality, but it does its job well and was affordable.

o

I'd be interested to research more about Barcalounger. They went bankrupt a while ago, tried to reorganize, and eventually Ashley bought "assets only," to revive the name plate. I've not encountered any of the newly minted models yet. I don't know whether or not they have anything in common with the Barcalounger versions of years ago or not.

o

Thank you, Petesmom! The Lane I've been eyeing is the most styish with excellent leather and is quite comfortable. It's a very good buy at the moment.

Bobsmyuncle--you can go to barcalounger.com to read their current info about their manufacturing, quality, etc. I was unable to find out any more info (i.e. who owns them now, where they're made, etc.), but the furniture store might have been able to tell me.

Thanks to you both!

o

I have to take manufacturer's claims with a grain of salt, because, after all, what would you expect them to say?

It appears as of late last year some of the custom lines are domestic, the rest are imported. The imported part is what I read when they first got acquired.

Here is a link that might be useful: US Made line

o

Sailor Mass I think those are three good possibilites. At least Barcoulounger was always considered well made although I am not certain about their current situation. I will tell you during the recession I knew of many small retailers who said that without Best Chairs they wouldn't be in business. Among retailers it is considered a good value and a "hot" line from a selling perspective.

o

Thanks, Freethinker! The Best was very comfortable. It's the same price as the Lane. I'm a bit uneasy about the electric reclining feature, just because I've heard that they can be problematic on even high end recliners. Again, thanks for your advice!

o

Sailor Mass I have the same concerns about the electric reclining feature. Over time if there is a problem they can be diffciult to repair. Parts not available etc.

o

I just realized that my husband's huge recliner is a Beast from Best. We've had it for five years, it's a microfiber material, and it has held up very well. The chair has been seriously abused by roughhousing teens, large H, a toddler's jumping, and a dog. The fabric cleans easily.
The manual recline mechanism works fine. Cushion on seat, back, and arms is still good. It is giant, marketed for big people. I am impressed by its durability, even though it's a huge eyesore in my living room, LOL.

o

Lane = Garbage. Construction is OSB, Stapled and glued. No screws. Low quality Mechanism, Low density foam, collapses in about 4 months. I looked a La-Z-Boy just recently, and the same applies there. OSB, very thin gage mechanism. They give you a lifetime replacement warranty on the mechanism. That means that if you are registered, and if you have the serial and model number of the mechanism they will send you a new mechanism. You have to put it in. Not a problem for most people with a couple of basic tools, but is this what you had in mind when you bought their product?

My experience with furniture sales people and the crap they sell nowadays is slightly below used car salesman. Our acceptance of offshore made garbage has done this to us in this country.

Barcalounger is made in China. I do not know if they are any good any more but they do use a Legett and Platt (sp?)Mechanism, but of course there are several grades of LP mechanisms also.

I do not know about Best, but I will see what I can find.

Boy has this country gone to hell. Thanks Billy Boy for NAFTA

o

I have had Lane for 5 years and just recently the springs are sagging (had 5 yrs warranty). Recliners work fine. Bought from NC.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here