Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rolling Desk Chair on Hardwood Floors

Posted by cab3014 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 0:36

I just had my LR and DR floors refinished and use a computer enclosed in an armoire in the dining room. I am reluctant to bring my desk chair back in the room due to the rollers under the legs that would damage the floor. What can be done? I don't think it's possible to put the protective pads under roller legs as could be done with other stationary furniture pieces.

Would one of the large plastic floor protectors used in offices also be harmful to the wood flooring. The floor is 60 year old oak that has just been sanded, stained, and polyurethane coated. It looks great , so I don't want to damage it. Any advice is appreciated. TIA

Carole

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rolling Desk Chair on Hardwood Floors

Your idea of putting down the plastic floor mat is a good one. Also, there are two different types of casters -- the most common casters on office chairs have hard nylon plastic rollers (designed to roll on carpets) which will leave marks, but there are also soft rubber rollers for hardwood floors. Check the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casters for Wood Floors

o

I have an oriental rug under my office chair in my home library. The kitchen desk chair on hard plastic casters rolls on the hardwood floor with virtually no ill effect.

o

Thanks for two great solutions. I am in the process of getting new casters for the chair and will probably also add some type of rug beneath the chair for added protection. I really appreciate your responses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here