Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Amish furniture company recommendations?

Posted by polie (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 0:00

I'm in the market for good but not heirloom quality furniture for my new house. I definitely want to buy only furniture made in the USA, especially given our near 10% national unemployment rate. Seems like Amish furniture may fit the bill, but I don't know which are the better Amish furniture companies. Unless there are brick and mortar stores in the NY Catskills, they have to have a good website or at the very least be willing to email detailed photographs of different pieces of furniture. Any recommendations for Amish furniture companies? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Amish furniture company recommendations?

Try Amishcountryfurnishings.com. It is a local business, yes it is really Amish made product, and the owner is a decent fellow. He used to do custom design too, I think, but I am not sure that is still true. He will ship anywhere in the USA. Good luck, hope his designs are what you are looking for.

o

I bought a bed from Dutch Crafters last year (JMX is the parent company name.) I originally found them from a recommendation on this website. It was a leap of faith buying online, but the furniture was as promised, delivered on time, and very nice. It was well packaged and arrived in excellent condition. I believe JMX represents several Amish furniture makers and craftsmen, so quality may vary by maker, I honestly don't know. The bed I bought was from the "Village Inn" collection. I was looking for a specific look and they were the only ones who had a bed that fit the bill. I looked around a lot before placing my order--partly because I was afraid of never having seen their furniture in person. I looked for bad press on JMX and Dutch Crafters and honestly couldn't find any. Finally, I decided I wanted the bed enough to take the risk.

Also, around the same timeframe, I have purchased furniture from Tom Seely (look online for Gat Creek). I bought both office and bedroom furniture. The furniture is very well made and made in the US. They have a limited number of distributors, but most will ship. I only saw one piece of Tom Seely furniture before making my purchase, but when I mentioned this furniture in any furniture store I was always told it was very well made. I ultimately ordered this furniture from Wishbrook Furniture in Westminster, SC.

I asked the owner of a shop that refinishes furniture for me to look at this furniture. He was very impressed with the quality and the finish work from both.

I would definitely purchase furniture from both of these companies again.

o

Hi Polie,
I saw your post and I'd like to suggest Amish Tables in Ann Arbor, MI. I've done some marketing work for them, so I'm pretty familiar with their operation. They whole-heartedly embrace the "Buy American" movement and have written several blog posts on the subject. And their online presence is pretty thorough. They have a downloadable catalog and pictures of every piece of furniture you could want. AND they work with you if you need to custom design the piece.

It's a pretty easy process and they'll ship anywhere in the US. Their link is below. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish Tables in Ann Arbor

o

I really appreciate these helpful suggestions!

o

Hubbingtons is Barrington, NH is becoming a good sized dealer of some different Amish companies. I believe they said most of their manufacturers were from Ohio, but they were starting to do some business from Wisc. When I was in there the other day, there was a Mennonite family walking around. I guess they were trying to sell their line of furniture to Hubbingtons!

o

We've purchased a solid cherry table and chairs from a Mennonite woodworker in Penn Yan NY/Finger Lakes area. His company is Horning Furniture. Alvin also makes bedroom furniture and hutches, etc, and his son makes kitchen cabinets. Our table was $400, 40x48 with 2 leaves, and chairs were $190 each. I also got solid oak armchairs for my waiting room for $175 each. When we were picking up our chairs last time we met a couple from Syracuse who were also repeat customers. A bit of a drive but the prices are great and the furniture beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horning's Furniture

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here