Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polie_gw

Any Amish furniture company recommendations?

polie
14 years ago

I'm in the market for good but not heirloom quality furniture for my new house. I definitely want to buy only furniture made in the USA, especially given our near 10% national unemployment rate. Seems like Amish furniture may fit the bill, but I don't know which are the better Amish furniture companies. Unless there are brick and mortar stores in the NY Catskills, they have to have a good website or at the very least be willing to email detailed photographs of different pieces of furniture. Any recommendations for Amish furniture companies? Thank you.

Comments (12)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    14 years ago

Try Amishcountryfurnishings.com. It is a local business, yes it is really Amish made product, and the owner is a decent fellow. He used to do custom design too, I think, but I am not sure that is still true. He will ship anywhere in the USA. Good luck, hope his designs are what you are looking for.

• amish-furniture-home
    14 years ago

Hi Polie,
    I saw your post and I'd like to suggest Amish Tables in Ann Arbor, MI. I've done some marketing work for them, so I'm pretty familiar with their operation. They whole-heartedly embrace the "Buy American" movement and have written several blog posts on the subject. And their online presence is pretty thorough. They have a downloadable catalog and pictures of every piece of furniture you could want. AND they work with you if you need to custom design the piece.

It's a pretty easy process and they'll ship anywhere in the US. Their link is below. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amish Tables in Ann Arbor

• polie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I really appreciate these helpful suggestions!

• nancnh
    13 years ago

Hubbingtons is Barrington, NH is becoming a good sized dealer of some different Amish companies. I believe they said most of their manufacturers were from Ohio, but they were starting to do some business from Wisc. When I was in there the other day, there was a Mennonite family walking around. I guess they were trying to sell their line of furniture to Hubbingtons!

• nessie1020
    13 years ago

We've purchased a solid cherry table and chairs from a Mennonite woodworker in Penn Yan NY/Finger Lakes area. His company is Horning Furniture. Alvin also makes bedroom furniture and hutches, etc, and his son makes kitchen cabinets. Our table was $400, 40x48 with 2 leaves, and chairs were $190 each. I also got solid oak armchairs for my waiting room for $175 each. When we were picking up our chairs last time we met a couple from Syracuse who were also repeat customers. A bit of a drive but the prices are great and the furniture beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horning's Furniture

• pstein15
    3 years ago

FYI. Live in Ohio. Just purchased an Oak dining set from our local Amish store. Paid about $ 3,000 tax and delivery included, for table with four leaves. 66 inches without leaves, 9.5 ft with 4 leaves in, Four chairs with leather seats. One 48 inch bench. Everything is fine. The receipts states Amish furniture makers do not offer any warranties, so the store provides a two year warranty. It took the owner and helper under 10 minutes to install the 5 legs. The fifth leg is needed as the table can extend to 9.5 ft. Supposedly on sale but I have no knowledge of the fair prices.

I’m a Costco member and checked them first. Most of their furniture is made of rubberwood, also called Malaysian oak. That type of wood does not hold screws well, and there are many complaints of screws coming loose. Also, most sets had the trestle type legs that prevent chairs from sliding in under the table. That would not work for us. Also many are shipped curbside only, with self assembly. Glad I chose the Amish store.

• love2browse
    3 years ago

I purchased my new dining room table from Daniel’s Amish. http://www.danielsamish.com/ It’s solid cherry and the finish is smooth like butter!

• pstein15
    3 years ago

I really loved the look of the cherry. It was $ 1000 more than the Oak and we had to stop somewhere. My wife also felt our condo was not really set up for the more formal looking cherry. We have an open area with the dining area not separate. The oak set we purchased does go better since our Stickley Oak Mission Chair is nearby. I an amazed at the construction of the underside of the table. We bought local, but the warranty is from HAF, "Handcrafted Amish Furniture." The warranty states Amish furniture typically has no warranty, but the HAF provides a 2 year warranty. Glad we bought from a local Amish store as the table is very heavy, and the owner set everything up very quickly. Curious as to how many leaves your table has. Our table is 66 inches, with four leaves extending it to 9.5 ft. We didn't need any leaves. We didn't realize it had any. I inspected it carefully and didn't see any seams, so I assumed it had no extension. Oh well. Fun to have just in case.

• pstein15
    3 years ago

To love2browse. I went to Daniel's web site. it's an excellent web site. I never understood the difference between Quarter Sawn oak and regular oak. I can see why it cost more. My local store is in Beavercreek, OH., 5 miles from our condo. Did the store deliver and set yours up? My cost for the service was $ 75., and well worth it.

• love2browse
    3 years ago

We purchased Landon Table with the Morgan chairs in distressed cherry with a Stockton stain. I wouldn’t call the table formal at all. My style is more transitional. We didn’t want any leaves (we refer them to crud lines). The maple table was cheaper, it I’m just partial to cherry wood. I purchased it from a store in Northern Virginia where I could customize the size. I needed a size in between the sizes listed on the site. We did have to pay for the larger table though. I had a house built, so the store delivered the product to my house still in the boxes at my request because we were moving in a couple of weeks to Richmond. I was lucky the movers helped us flip the table over once we attached the legs. It was so heavy! The $75 for deliver and setup seems to be what most furniture stores charge and would’ve so worth it!

• pstein15
    3 years ago

Heavy is right when it comes to Amish furniture. Impressive to watch how the legs were attached. A number of braces. I agree with you about the leaves. I didn’t need them. Empty nesters with once a year family gatherings. Nine people including us. We make do without leaves. I examined the table carefully prior to purchase. I looked for the telltale lines that tables with leaves have. There were none. No crud lines. I was so certain it was one piece I didn’t ask. Makes the table that much heavier to move. The leaves are self storing fortunately. I think Holmes county is about 150 miles away. Our local Kroger sells Amish Holmes County eggs.