Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me identify this couch and chair I inherited

Posted by ArrowVeraLee (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 23:07

I have this couch and chair. I know nothing about them. Any information would be helpful so I can further search on the net.
I have several more photos of both.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me identify this couch and chair I inherited

It looks like a 1930s deco-moderne sofa in a Renaissance-Revival or a Romantic-Revival style.

o

I have a lot of these wood framed couches come into our door. I would have to agree with Palimpsest this coach is from either 1930's or 1920's I would say somewhere in between the two. This type of style was very popular in both of those decades. I would suggest doing a Google image search with a well lit face on picture of the couch and add in "1920's renaissance couch" also. I just did a similar search but the picture isn't the best. You may yield better results that way. Also try a combo, which 20's to 30's and renaissance with romantic and so on.

Hope this helped!

o

Here is another view.
(Uploading photos to this site is no easy task)

o

The chair.

o

Your set was certainly from the 20's and is very reflective of this time period. If your willing to spend some money on it by reupholstery and refinshing it could be a beautiful set. I sure it would please whoever the person was that left it to you since they had it all those years. It must have had meaning to them.

o

I wish that was mine!!

o

Due to the ornate nature of the hand carvings and the upholstering it would be a job left up to an experienced upholsterer in as much as they will have to refinish the wood as well as upholster the frame. Then again it will probably need some spring work once the set is taken apart. In the end it will be worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here