Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smith Bros of Berne vs King Hickory Sofas

Posted by kzcamp (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 22:32

Getting ready tp purchase sofa and chair and leather ottoman. Any opinions on these 2 companies? KH seems to have more options, they have the fabric I like but Smith Bros has the chair I like. I have bought furniture from NC a few times with great satisfaction but in this economy I feel I should buy from one of the small local retailers. Dealing with 2 stores like them both.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smith Bros of Berne vs King Hickory Sofas

I have a Smith Brother, couch, chair, an oversized chair and ottoman and I can't say enough about the quality. In have had them 10 years and they still look like new.

P.S. I grew up about 5 miles from the Smith Brothers furniture factory..

o

I have two Smith Brother love seats that are four years old, get heavy use and still look like the day they were delivered.

o

King Hickory may have the fabric you like but after one day you might not like it so much. We picked out a gorgeous herringbone chenille that looked way too good to be in their standard price. Sit or lean on it once and it was ruined. Sofa looks 20 years old and we bought it about 2 years ago. No kids or dogs, either. I wish I would have gone with the Smith Bros. I had one years back and it was wonderful.

There used to be a poster here would talked about a fabric's "rub count" (I think). Try Googling that and it will give you a test to do so you can find out how good the fabric is.

Good luck!

o

Purchased King Hickory sofa and chair in 2008. Within 2 years, the sofa and chair cushions were totally deflated. You are sitting on the frame. You can feel the wood in the arms when you sit in the chair. I have furniture (Sherrill) that's 20 years old that looks better. The worst part is that you cannot deal with the company directly, they will not even answer an email. They definitely do not stand behind their product. I will buy Smith Brothers or Sherrill the next time I purchase upholstered pieces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here