Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fleur222

Sofa worth reupholstering?

fleur222
11 years ago

Our current sofa has been very comfortable for sitting and sleeping!!! We bought it from EA about 12 years ago. It is a light colored fabric that has seen its days! It has 3 cushions and a semi attached back. The back cushions look lumpy. The seat cushions are in good shape; I do not think they are spring cushions.

Today, I finally turned it over and opened the back to see how it was constructed. There are individual springs, so at first I thought it was 8 way hand tied. Upon further inspection and research on web, I think it is a drop in spring system. The wood frame looks like 2x4s you would buy at lumber store. I don't know how to tell if it is the hard wood, but it is not pressed wood. It has dowels, a corner wood support, and is glued.

I am debating about getting a new sofa or reupholstering this one. If I get a new one, I am going to go with a higher end brand like Henredon. Now that I have seen the inside, I am leaning towards putting this one in the basement, but not reupholstering. It has value in that it is still comfortable, but appearance wise, it not suitable for living room anymore. ( Normal wear and tear)

Still, a new sofa is expensive, so I would appreciate some opinions.

Comment (1)