Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keagle

Schillig Leather Sectional

Karen Eagle
15 years ago

Looking for modern style, good quality leather sectional. Anyone know anything about Schillig furniture. Saw something I loved at Maurice Valency but didn't want to spend $$$$. Found a similar style by Schillig at Macy's and Signature Leather that was less $$$. Any ideas, feedback?

Comments (17)

• dbaguy
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Im looking for the same and saw a September, 2005 post here that was, with one exception, very positive on Schillig. TheodoreÂs had only the Taboo about three months ago; very hard and long in the leg. I tried MV in January as well; more models and I liked the customer service. Both dealers seem like $$$$.

I went to Leather Expressions in Montgomeryville, PA during xmas holidays. (One of my nephews lives 10 miles away in Ambler.) They had about three floor models. We were very impressed with the dealership  but they donÂt sell to customers more than 75 miles away. Otherwise IÂd probably buy there since they also seem to be less expensive to me. IÂve had e-mail correspondence with Rick Erdman twice since then and received prompt answers to follow-up questions.

Finally went to Raleigh (yes, another nephew in Cary) and visited Ambience International two weeks ago. Their prices also seemed much better than DC and IÂll probably buy there once IÂm certain what I want along with the rest of my living room. (It needs major rehab with paint and other stuff.) Melanie was pretty down to earth and helpful  but the bright yellow nail polish was distracting!

Schillig USA is also in Raleigh but open only to the trade. I sent an e-mail to them and have not had any response. Their website could be a lot better and is supposed to be revised in the future. They have 36 models on-line but some may no longer be available and some new ones not included. Their leather PDF doesnÂt list the new grades nor are there any color samples by grade in the PDF. (The Elmo leather is REALLY soft.) They also donÂt list the configurations available per model. It seems taht in Great Britain one can order a print catalog but there isn't a USA print catalog. Considering the relatively few dealers I donÂt understand why they make their web site so limited. Needless to say, corporate doesnÂt give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. (I only saw Theodores listed at the corporate site for DC. Rick Erdman sent me e-mail mentioning Villency was also a dealer and had a DC location.)

Other odds-and-ends. Rick said that I could pay, say, $10,000 for a piece made in Germany  or $6,000 if made in China. Cringe. (How many postings are there on this forum looking for the best price? And how many postings about poor quality from China?! I believe that D Collie posted on his site about Asia-Pacific immigrants specifically avoiding made in China.) Rick also said that the Quality Assurance would still be done by Schillig corporate. (Note that this was two months ago.) Melanie said that as of 1/1/2009 all sofas would be manufactured in China. I was interested in the Bonnie but now find the Couture to be more appealing. As I remember a 108"by117" (back dimensions) Couture sectional runs about $3,800-$5,300 depending upon chosen leather. Add $300 for shipping and donÂt pay sales tax if shipped to Northern Virginia.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I have heard nothing but rave reviews for Lee furniture.

It's all American made. I know that they sell it at Crate and Barrel but am not sure where else. You could check on their website.

• dbaguy
    15 years ago

'I believe that D Collie posted on his site about Asia-Pacific immigrants specifically avoiding made in China.'

Correction. It was Steve Oster ... and echoed by Duane Collie at the link.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Re: Ambiente and Melanie: What a small world! While visiting my parents in Raleigh last year, I made a trip to Ambiente to check out the Schillig sectional pictured in their advertisements at the time--the Arabesque (my DH and I had seen it at some store in Westchester, and we were both really drawn to it). I spoke with and later corresponded with Melanie a number of times. She was quite helpful, and had we not opted to make our purchase locally (reasons below), I would had no qualms about making the purchase at Ambiente.

FYI, my parents ended up falling in love with and purchasing a buffet from Abiente that they saw while visiting the store with me! They had a very good experience dealing with them.

We purchased our couch from Signature Leather (NJ). The initially quoted price was comparable to Ambiente's ("no" sales tax from either location since we are out-of-state for both places), but we made our purchase during a "holiday sale," so they came down a bit in price when we actually placed the order/made the deposit. Also, the delivery charges were lower (because we are "local" or just because?). We also felt that if there were any problems, it would be easier to handle them locally rather than long-distance.

As for the couch itself--we love it! The leather is very good quality (we opted to have it made with semi-aniline or "protected" leather--we know ourselves, and felt that would be the best-wearing option, while still being a nice leather). The stitching is done beautifully--very straight and even, and all seams line up perfectly. We had been concerned about the quality of a couch being manufactured in Asia/China and were told the same thing about the factory management (coming directly from their headquarters in Germany), and that the skins being used to came from Europe, not China.

There were some problems with the couch on delivery; chipped feet (which could have as easily happened in transit as during manufacture), a few smudges or stained spots on the leather, some packing creases, and one or two areas of "pocketing" of the leather on the seat cushions.

We were pretty upset, and initially felt that the couch needed to be replaced but the Schillig rep who came out to see the couch did not agree. The store owner assured us that the chipped feet would be replaced, and that some of our concerns were about things inherent to all (or most) leather furniture, and were not really "defects." He also assured us that the leather repair person they used was a real "magician." He'd be able to clean up the smudged spots so we'd never know they'd been there, and he would be able to address our other concerns to our satisfaction as well.

Since we really did like and want the couch, we decided to allow the store to send him out to work on it. The gentleman they sent was a true professional, and a truly skilled craftsman. He took his time while working on the couch, making sure both we and he were satisfied with the results. Before he was done, he went over any spots that either he or we felt still needed his attention. The results were very good when he finished, and it looks even better now, some 6 or so months later (after the couch continued to "recover" from being packed/shipped/compressed).

We are very happy with our couch and with Signature Leather (we made another purchase there very recently, and will probably use them again if/when we purchase another leather sectional for our family room).

The price for this particular sectional was very good, and despite some initial issues or concerns (which as I mentioned, have been addressed), the quality is decent as well.

• Karen Eagle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am so glad to hear that you are happy with both your couch and Signature Leather. We purchased a Schillig sectional last weekend from the Melville store. I was a little concerned since I didn't know much about the store, and in today's economy... but we were able to order the style we wanted. Macy's sells Schillig but not the exact style.

• Karen Eagle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Schillig sectional came today and I am very happy. Looking forward to living with it.

• quality_lover
    14 years ago

comparing the Schillig made in Germany to Schillig made in China:
    1. i can clearly see that made in China stitches are not that straight as german. On some Chinese pieces that quality of leather fit is not up to German standards: corners and folds are not always straight as in German made. So, depending on style, some Chinese pieces appear to be made better than others.

2. On some styles they now have loose backrest pillows.

3. Depending on style, Chinese stitching has many more leather tension points.

4. Leather quality material appears to be the same as German.

Of course, all even Chinese ones are much better in quality than lousy craftsmanship of most American furniture companies.

• dbaguy
    14 years ago

1. Darn (and many other words)! Also, not that I wanted it, contrast stitching would not appear be a good option.

2. Yes. Not that it is new with regards to Schillig but loose cushions generally seem to be the better choice.

3. Not sure what is meant. Could you clarify?

4. The hides are supposed to be shipped from Europe. Just the fabrication is supposed to be done in China. (I'm not sure as to what that means with reference to the wood used.)

• Karen Eagle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know where my Schillig came from but it looks and feels great. My cushions do not come off. The contrast stitching is straight and I am extremely happy with my purchase.

• aina_grow
    14 years ago

If your sofa arrived a week ago or so, it is made in China. They moved all of their production into China. The quality seems to be exceptional anyway. I don't care where my sofa is made as long as it is well made and I can afford it.
    I ordered my sectional from Ambiente. I found the store first and then read the reviews. They really have very competitive pricing. I had my eyes on Francesca sectional first but then I found out that Primanti sectional is very similar and is available almost right away. They promised it to be delivered in about 4 weeks. Of course it was delayed a little bit (arrived in 5 weeks), but I was expecting that. Altogether I paid under 4500 for a sectional that I love(it was an out of state purchase so no tax). Delivery guys could be more polite and careful, but they didn't damage any furniture, however I had to clean the floor after their visit.

• quality_lover
    14 years ago

placed a special order for Francesca Collection: sofa and 2 swivel chairs in Schillig cheapest line red leather. Special order, 3-5 month to California. No contrast stitching.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

We knew ours would be made in China--the style we'd gotten (Arabesque) is made there.

4. The hides are supposed to be shipped from Europe. Just the fabrication is supposed to be done in China. As I mentioned in my post above, this was confirmed to us prior to purchase by the retailers and by Schillig cust svce.

Also, as I'd mentioned, the stitching is flawless; perfectly straight and even (we opted for matching stitching). FWIW, an interior decorator/art gallery owner commented on the quality of the workmanship when he was in our home.

The Arabesque does not have any loose cushions.

My parents were very pleased with the service they received at Ambiente, and had we not opted to order our couch somewhat locally (slightly lower price, lower delivery cost), we would have had no qualms about ordering ours there.

• jwmds_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

also have my eye on a shillig sofa and am wondering if anyone has found a place to buy with good pricing. thanks for the help.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Check out Ambiente (aina_grow linked to their site above) or Signature Leather in Paramus NJ. At the time of our purchase a few years ago, both offered good, and comparable pricing on Schillig.

Good luck!

• Karen Eagle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bought mine a couple of years ago at Signature Leather in Melville NY. Macy's also sells some Schillig. When I was looking, the Schillig website listed stores by area and then you can comparison shop. I feel I was given a good price from Signature Leather.

• peeps160
    13 years ago

Don't believe the hype-bought a schillig corner unit that showed puddling and rippling of the leather after 2 weeks use! (got the photos if anyones interested)Manufacturer does not accept its a quality problem.Save yourself some money and potential grief,dont deal with this company.

• Karen Eagle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Peeps, sorry to hear of your troubles. A friend of mine bought Schillig - 2 love seats and a sofa- and have it a few months now. They are are happy with their purchase, as am I with mine.