Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briant73

First time buyer - Upholstered furniture

briant73
16 years ago

Looking for help, first time buyer on a quest for a new sofa and accompying furniture. I have been browsing this forum for awhile now but feel it's best to ask for advice. I'm in the market for a new living room set - the current one is about 16-20 years old and is need of replacement. I inherited the current set (basset) and though nowhere near high quality, it's just been the last 4-5 years or so that it has been bad enough to need replacing. From my research basset seems to be considered upper low end to mid end furniture. Where I live we have a varying array of brands but not all brands are avaliable. I want to add I'm not the type that will be changing furniture just because the style changes. I have been told a high end sofa will last a long time and not just last but be in good condition all those years whereas I was also told a lower quality may eek out 10-15 years but by the end be falling apart. So yeah I would not mind spending in the 800-1600 range but if it's going to be junk in 10 years or so and I can pay double that to get one that will last 25 or more years and be in great shape for most of them that's a factor.

Here is what I have looked at so far

La-Z-Boy/England motion sofas and other peices. Decent look and feel but I have read enough on here and elsewhere that it seems these are overpriced and prone to issues.

Sofa mart - This store just opened as part of the furniture row stores in my area. I was looking at their 37th avenue collection. The SALES PERSON compared the quality to that of Ethan Allen. They also claimed it was made in the US of A.

I stopped at a store featuring Lane, Broyhill, Flexsteel, Thomasville. This store is a mega store so it competes at various levels but definetely has low end furniture so upon walking in I told the salesperson I wanted to see their higher end quality sofas and such. His response was look around and if you have questions come find me. Wow gee that's salesmanship there. I did browse but this store did a horrible job of labelling who made what, in fact it seems they were hiding the brand names to make all the low quality stuff look on par with the mid end. I did find a Broyhill that wasn't bad.

Sofa Mart - 37 avenue collection. This store just opened and the sales experience was very nice and the furniture seemed ok. Any ideas?

I then went to a higher end furniture gallery that had Sherril, Stickley, Hancock Moore and Henredon. I found a Henredon Fireside h2700 sofa that I liked in the 2500-3000 price range.

I still have two other stores to check out and their is a lexington dealer about 45 minutes away I may venture down to. So given what I wrote any advice and information you can share? I have read the things to look for and ask about threads.

Comments (31)

• briant73
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I live in Northwest Pennsylvania area. I am planning at looking at some other brands, I know one will be Smith Brothers which seems to be a step above the mass manufacturer's stuff from what I have read.

• parma42
    16 years ago

Smith Bros of Berne makes an excellent product for the price! Made in USA too.

• livvysmom
    16 years ago

I just got two full sized sofas delivered that are Flexsteel. They are BEAUTIFUL and sooooo comfortable. I can't tell how they will wear since they are brand new but they sure made my 13 year old Ethan Allen sofas look and feel like crap.

• briant73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is the Flexsteel the wrangler line? That is what my local store claims to carry. There is another place about 45 minutes away that may have their more traditional lines.

• briant73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Latest update, checked out Smith Brothers and found a few sofas/chairs that I liked the look/comfort of. They had a nice chair and couch but both were in leather and I'm probably going to get fabric, is their a savings switching and if so what should I expect?

In my journeys so far one thing I am dissapointed in is that high back/cushion sofas seem to be hard to find. Has anyone here made the switch from a sofa where your head is supported to one where your head is more up in the air and how has it gone so far?

• parma42
    16 years ago

Many furniture company websites have dimensions for the height, depth and length of their sofas and chairs. I'm not sure how tall you are but I've never owned a sofa that goes to the top of my head. :) Maybe those reclining ones do.

As for the leather vs fabric cost, yes the leather would usually cost more. How much would be determined by the quality of the leather. Fabric has many price points too, but you can find lots of lower priced chenilles and such. Remember that in fabric, price doesn't always equal quality. A gorgeous designer floral that costs big $$$s is not necessarily a fabric that will wear well.

My new King Hickory sofa had a wide range of fabrics to pick from, all at the same cost.

• briant73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am zeroing in on a new sofa and chair. I must say shopping for furniture is even more involving then vehicle shopping (though haggling with car salespeople is a whole different ball game). This forum and your responses have been quite helpful.

I now need to find new end tables and maybe a coffee table. As with the sofa I'm willing to pay more for better quality/craftmanship but don't want to break the bank. Any decent brands out there that fit this description. I'm also debating scouring yard sales/estate sales since my Father in his retirement has made furniture restoration a full time hobby.

• briant73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just wanted to share some of my experiences when shopping for furniture so far, overall only one bad experience but here are some of the obeservations. I also got some pricing online and they did beat the local store considerable even with shipping factored in, but would rather buy local.

A really good salesperson gives you the feeling that the furniture they are showing you is something they not only like but believe is a great piece. Maybe it's me but I feel like I can tell when they are just repeating marketing points they are told to say but could care less about. I also like it when you ask a salesperson a question and if they don't have the answer isn't afraid to to admit they don't have an answer but will get one. Some of them just seem to give a response without any clue if it's true or not. A good salesperson will work with you to find what fits your style and comfort. Just because it's their best piece doesn't mean it's the right one for you. I never am comfortable when a salesperson disregards my opinion or try's to fit me with a compromise that I don't want.

So far I have been most dissapointed by the local mega furniture store. The displays did not tell you who made what, the sales people seemed to have no interest in working with the customers and I could not find anything I really liked.

• dcollie
    16 years ago

briant73,

You are a very astute shopper and have keep observations on the role of salespersons in the store. A good salesperson works for you, and strives to get you the right piece that will work in your home and like you say, will find the answers to all your questions. A lousy salesperson is just aiming for the cash register ring and works to expedite that as fast as possible - telling you what they think you want to hear.

Both will sell furniture. But the good salesperson knows you will likely return to them in the future as they've earned your trust and delivered you a product thats suitable and within your budget. The lousy salesperson doesn't really care, and probably won't be in that store for long anyways.

Bear with me while I tell one of my many stories....

C.L. Barnes and Co. was a larger area chain with five stores in the Washington DC market. One day, Reny Barnes, the owner, walks into my small store which is 1 mile from where his Alexandria VA store was located. He comes in, looks around for about half an hour then introduces himself to me and says

"You have a a very nice store, but your marketing is all wrong."

"How so?" I say, somewhat offended at the unsolicited assessment of my operation.

"You have high quality goods that you sell for too little. In my stores, we buy cheap and sell high. Our margins are terrific and much higher than yours, I know what the costs are on what you sell - you can get more."

I challenged him with: "I'm O.K., I make a living. I've been in your stores as well. Most of what you carry is not very good quality and it has to break. What does that do to your repeat customer business?"

Reny said: "The Washington DC market its so transient that I don't really plan on them returning. Get 'em once and get 'em good - there will be more customers that follow. I'll make more money than you."

I replied "Probably, but I don't need to hire a customer service rep. to deal with all the raging phone calls and I bet I sleep better at night, too."

And he left.

That was in 1995 or 1996. C.L.Barnes and Company went bankrupt and closed their stores in 2006. I'm still here the same one mile south of his shuttered store. Guess his marketing strategy didn't pan out.

True Story.

Duane Collie

• briant73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Duane, thanks for the compliment and I think a lot of us enjoy your stories so that was an added bonus.

I know each salesperson is going to lean one way or another some are more for style, some for function, some for the almighty dollar, and some others who knows but a good one will do their best to work with the customer as you said and if they do try to steer you it's to build a good relationship for the future.

Here's a quick story from the customer prespective of the difference of building a relationship to making a quick buck. When shopping at one store a sales person steered me away from a Barcalounger and by steered he flat out said something to the effect 'I don't want you to even look at that!". I wondered why because it was priced very similar to the brand he recommended. I decided to ask and he said it's night and day. I decided to check out the barcalounger best I could with out tearing it apart and compared it to the recommended brand and could see/feel differences (hardwood versus ply and other things). I must say though I was floored when I saw a barcalounger at Sams club very similar to the one he steered me away from and it was selling at 1/3rd the price. I have no clue how much the chair I was steered away from cost but seeing how inexpensive Sams was selling one I get the idea the guy could of made a nice profit from selling the BL. I have no idea what his costs are but I get the feeling he chose to make a decent profit and keep my business in the future instead of making a killing and have it being a one and done type deal.

Another thing which I'm glad you and others enjoy posting and sharing information - When starting my quest for new living room furniture I was dismayed how little is out there about purchasing new furniture. Tons of furniture to purchase but I was finding mainly marketing information but nothing with substance. I can find tons of forums devoted to TVs, stereos, vehicles, lawn equipment (I kid you not), computers and more but for furniture this forum and the google group was all I really found. I read the CR article from a few years ago where they tested like eight low end and mid range sofas. I liked in the article the idea of seeing how much force it took to break a frame but where was a test simulating a few years of regular use and then run the frame test to see which frames help up best.

The posts by you and others have been very helpful and thankfully this forum doesn't suffer like other ones on GW where only the most expensive stuff counts and everything else is junk. When looking for a new gas range two years ago I kept reading anything under $1200 would fall apart within 6 months or destroy my food I am cooking. When asked why that was the responses were mainly negative but no substance. On this forum I can ask about a certain 400-700 dollar sofa and how long it will last and I get solid answers about the frame, workmanship, and everything. I like the fact if someone comes on here with a limited budget or doesn't want to spend a lot because of how the item will be used people still give advice in that price category to help them get the best possible value for their dollar.

Another thing I found very helpful is if you can talk to someone who reparis/re-upholster furniture it can be very beneficial since they are the ones who get to see the inside. A few years ago I had to have my current furniture repaired (two of the s springs just broke but not at the same time). This guy enjoyed talking and going over the furniture so I got an education on furniture and what's under the fabric. I also have talked to an upholstery/repair shop which has helped.

• parma42
    16 years ago

I'm glad you're close to making a decision about your sofa. I just bought locally too and really enjoyed my salesperson.

As far as the occasional tables go, that is a subject that I hate. :) Seems like they cost as much as a dining table and then you're afraid to use them. What I did was use Craig's list and got older Ethan Allen ones. I'm saving the bucks for a dining room table of my dreams.

I'd buy used and have your Dad take a stab at them if they are far from pristine.

• briant73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just wondering, was talking to a salesperson last night and a fabric I really liked was on the "do not recommend" list for motion furniture. Something about how it will wear around where the seat cushion/arms meet.

I am wondering is that usually just a warning or is it something to take seriously. I don't mind minimal wearing but if it's noticeable just by looking that's bad. I would like to do a fabric on the recliner chair can you suggest some types that would be good? I was almost thinking a micro suede but have no clue if that would hold up well.

• dcollie
    16 years ago

That's to be taken seriously. Motion furniture has friction points, mostly where you already indicated - as the back and seat 'slide' relative to the arms which stay stationary. Also, the front edge of the seat cushion and welt trim is a high-wear area.

Some fabrics pill or even shred in high-wear areas, and thats one of the reasons leather makes an ideal recliner as it stands up to friction much better than any fabric.

Stay away from all-cottons, and silk contents. Look for blends of Poly and Rayon for best abrasion resistance. If you can find the friction (rub) ratings for a particular fabric then thats the best way to select.

Duane Collie

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    16 years ago

You should heed this warning, think about going with a combination: inside seat and back in a fabric and everything else in a vinyl or leather.

• briant73
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Duane,

The fabric I was looking at was a poly/rayon blend but something to do with the texture of the fabric.

As to leather well it's more expensive and I personally prefer fabric. That's why I thought micro suede's might work.

• dcollie
    16 years ago

Microsuede is the same as Microfiber, and they are very thin strands of 100 % Polyester, so they'll do fairly well in holding up to wear and repelling stains. Leather is more expensive initially, but it will easily go triple the life-span of any fabric given reasonable cleaning care.

Duane Collie

• briant73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After the search and wait my new furniture arrived and seems to be in great condition. I was really impressed with the delivery personnel.

I went with Smith Brothers couch and recliner both in fabric.

• briant73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also I forgot to say thank you to everyone on their opinions and advice, I appreciated it.

• parma42
    15 years ago

You're very welcome and I'm glad everything worked out well!

Enjoy your new furniture.

• briant73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wanted to update since the furniture has been in my house for a few days. The delivery went great, the furniture looks great in the fabric selected, and so far everything looks correct as far as build. I do have some concerns which I'll go over:

I have found a few small knots of fabric which i been told happens with the fabric I selected and usually are easy to take care of. I gather from both the dealer and a upholster I talked to this can happen with the fabric type I selected. The dealer already has their upholstery guy scheduled to check these little areas out and make right.

The Reclining chair so far feels just like the one in the showroom and looks very nice in my house. I still need to sit on it more to get used to it but so far a nice choice.

The sofa looks great but it is not sitting/feeling like the one in the showroom did. Maybe it needs to be used for awhile but so far it's not feeling right to me. I called the dealer and within two days the salesman has come to my house, tried it out, noted my concerns and well be investigating this with the manufacturer to see what can/needs to be done to make things right.

So I'm happy to have my new furniuture but do have some concerns. Reading the posts on here I have noticed I'm not the only who has concerns after their delivery of new furniture. I can say that so far my dealer is working very well with me on these concerns and that seems to be a very good sign.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

I have two sofas of flexsteel and they're my second set. I replaced thefirst set and put them in my lake house. First set is 20 years old and in perfect conditions. Second one is newer and I'm having slipcovers made to go with my new decor. I don't think you can beat the quality. Cushions looks as firm and nice as the day we bought them. I have a bad back and these sofas make it easy as they give such support.

• briant73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Quick update.

The dealer contacted the manufacturer and got back to me. No surprise the manufacturer requested a few more weeks of use to see if it feels different. I told the dealer I'm skeptical of this because it feels so different from the showroom unit which was only 5-6 months old but I would try it for a couple weeks more. The dealer told me if I'm still not satisfied at the end of those weeks the manufacturer would take the sofa back and go over it and I would get a loaner sofa during the wait.

To me it feels like the cushions are overstuffed and are using a firmer foam but I'm no expert.

So thought I'm not 100% happy with my new purchase, there is hope. I am very happy that the dealer/manufacturer are wanting to make things right.

• briant73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok it's been 4 months and counting and nothing has been remedied with my furniture. The store salesman has come out twice and said they will see what can be done but nothing, over a week ago the store owner called and apologized and said he will get right on it but over a week and have not heard back from the store. I am getting very frustrated by this lack of being in limbo. Is there normal for stores to take this long to decide what if anything can be done? I don't want to get upset and start bashing but this is the oddest customer service experience ever. Always so polite and helpful when I do talk to someone but then nothing.

• briant73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update, I called the store and spoke to the owner. Things are supposedly being handled and moving along. I was given a reason why things took so long and though I'm not happy at the delay I understand some of what happenend. So now I wait to see if the store follows through and then that the furniture is fixed correctly.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Hmmm, that's what I always liked about Smith Bros., the firm cushions.

It wouldn't make sense for them to put extra-firm in yours because that would be an upcharge, if even available.

Keep us posted. If you're looking for Dcollie, he's started a new furniture forum. I don't have the info here but if you do a search you can find the address.

• mccall
    15 years ago

It is a fact that a sofa or chair you sit in in the show room will feel softer, [broken in] if it has been there any time at all, even the 5 or 6 months mentioned because unlike your home, hundreds of people are bouncing in and out of it, same thing with bedding you try in the store. It does in fact take some time in the home before the "sit" resembles what you remember.
    As for Duane here is the link to his new forum. Please tell your friends about it too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duane's new forum

• janroze
    15 years ago

Furniture has changed so, I'm almost afraid to buy. I have mostly older Henredon, Barnhardt, Century and a bit of Ethan Allen. If you want a shock, google ethan allen. Every comment is VERY negative, it used to be good furniture, in fact, I was almost headed there. I don't know about any of it. My old stuff is soooo heavy because of the hard wood, I can barely move it. The new stuff--one shove and away it goes. google Smith Bros. It has Maple wood, kiln dried, coil springs. I went to the store, I would say their fabric is average--neither high quality nor junk. Thanks for helping me think. I guess I will keep my oldies, but goodies and have them reupholstered by a fine local upholsterer. Fits with my trying to live green anyway--REUSE.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

Bassett really bites the big one.

Clayton Marcus and Flexsteel are fab...

But the most fab of all imo is LEE INDUSTRIES!!!

I'm amazed by it to tell you the truth....and it has an amazing rep....fabulous looks and fabrics as wel....Not cheap...another person on here said they used Alan Ferguson and got a great deal. I used them too after visiting two showrooms that were way overpriced...I pretended like I was buying to get help to pic fabrics :0

• briant73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got two peices of Smith brothers Furniture and though the couch has two issues the reclining chair is pretty nice so far. So I wouldn't write off buying new furniture because of my problem, most of my frustration comes from waiting for the dealer, not the furniture. Now I'll try to update with what happens when the furniture is fixed. As to keeping your old furniture with repholstery that's always a good way to go. If your furniture is made well with hardwoods and good springs a good upholstery shop should be able to do wonders with it.

• briant73
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update -

The furniture went back to Smith Bros. and was fixed. New seat cushion cores, squeak is gone and fabric is great. The couch sits much better now like the showroom model that sold us on it.

The store and manufacturer did come through, there was a delay but it was accidental and not purposeful.

So to anyone looking at Smith Bros. I would say I recommend them; since now a days it's hard to find manufacturers that stand by their product especially when the problem is subjective (comfort level) and still work with the customer to get to their idea of right.