Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momorichel

Bookshelves - custom or Calif Closets?

momorichel
10 years ago

We have received two bids and designs for a wall-length bookshelf/media center in our living room. The cost is very similar for both, and designs are similar also.

The carpenter says he will use plywood with a maple veneer that we can stain or paint. He says that using maple throughout would be cost-prohibitive.

The California Closets is MDF with some kind of veneer - I don't think it's actual wood. It's pretty but looks kind of fake to me. Both designs will be attached to the wall - not actually built in (we don't have the wall depth for that) but we like the attached idea since we live in quake-country.

I wonder:

1. Can anyone can comment on the quality issue of plywood with veneer, and his statement that using real maple would be cost-prohibitive?

2. Does anyone have experience with California Closets bookshelves? They have done a closet of mine and I am really happy with it, but it's not a focal point of aesthetics in a living room, and I feel that might be different.

3. Any environmental concerns that weight the question in one direction or the other?

4. And finally, any feedback in general about going with a local contractor rather than a franchise like Cal Closets??

Another option we looked at was Room and Board bookshelves but right now we are leaning toward one of the above.....comments on Room and Board quality??

thanks all for your input!

Comments (3)

• lkplatow
    10 years ago

It's pretty standard to build cabinetry out of plywood with veneer -- big enough sheets of nice straight flat actual hardwood would be ridiculously expensive if not totally unavailable -- today's trees/lumber do not compare to the trees of years past, which is why antique furniture is built out of solid wood and today's furniture isn't. That said, a good plywood with a nice veneer will be beautiful and pretty much indistuinguishable from solid wood. I am not familiar with Cali Closets, but we have a closet system from closetmaid and while perfectly functional in the closet, it is definitely fake looking and not an aesthetic I'd want to feature in my living area. In my experience, MDF with veneer never looks quite as good as plywood -- I don't know if it's the veneer they use or what, but the MDF I have seen has always had a thermofoil or paper-type veneer which looks bad and doesn't hold up. Maybe Cali closets uses a wood veneer though, in which case it would be about the same as plywood.

A local contractor will also be able to customize the shelves to fit your space, while cali closets may have basic sizes that you would be limited to -- I remember trying to figure out how to best span our closet with the 2 standard sizes of shelving units that closetmaid offered at the time. I also think you will probably end up with better construction from the local guy, as it will probably be custom built on-site and be less of a "modular" type construction.

As far as using the local contractor vs. a national franchise, I would get references from the local guy (with pictures or even an in-person visit if feasible) and don't overpay up front -- the risk of a local one-man-type guy is that he takes your deposit and runs. But that is rare, and getting references/checking licenses/vetting with the BBB should prevent most of that. In the end, I think you'll get a better end result from a good local carpenter than you will from Cali Closets but that's just MO, and like I said, I have never dealt with Cali Closets.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

Two concerns. First would be the veneer on the edge of the shelves coming off if you drag a book over the edge. I've got several bookcases and while the shelves are plywood with veneer on the top and bottom, the edge facing the room has a strip of solid hardwood (cherry in my case) about 3/4" thick for durability. You can just make out the seam which goes under my index finger in the picture below. I'd suggest asking your carpenter for a new quote including a hardwood edge on the shelves.

Second, shelf sag. Consider the span of the shelves and how you intend to load them. Solid wood is best, of course, but that would cost a fortune. My plywood/veneer shelves span 24" and some are loaded with large, "coffee-table" type books. None sag, even after 20 years. When I bought these units, the furniture store saleslady verified the loading for me with the manufacturer. Be very careful with any chopped/ground/glued wood products for shelves with heavier loads (like books). They have a tendency to sag.

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 9:15

• momorichel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for your replies! DH and I met last night and looked over the situation and decided to go with the wood/carpenter.

LK: I think you are right about the thermofoil - I think that's exactly what it is, I just didn't know the word. They can do any size, it's not only modular - my problem though is the look of the thermofoil.
    The carpenter was recommended by a friend, and is part of a larger construction firm in town, very well established - so I trust that he is reliable and upstanding.

And yes, Dreaming, I will talk to carpenter about edges. We have already discussed weight bearing, because some of the shelves will hold vinyl records, even heavier than books.

Thank you both again!