Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Contemporary reclining leather sofas? Ekornes or ???

Posted by infohound2006 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 18, 10 at 17:31

We're looking for a comfortable recliner sofa / loveseat combination in leather.

DH and I found a Palliser leather sofa for ~$2,500K, very nice to stretch out on. However we'd really like something more contemporary, a lot less heavy-looking. I've been looking at the Ekornes Stressless Paradise ...but it's $5-6,000!

Is the Ekornes really worth the price?? Are there other contemporary leather recliner sofas of median+ quality, but more in the $2-4K range?

I want allergy-proof leather, but we're finishing an extensive remodel and our wallet is very light. I'm also wondering about the Ekornes reclining mechanism. The Ekornes recliner chairs are heavenly, but the reclining sofas don't have the extending calf support like we're used to. Is the Ekornes comfortable for folks with knee problems?

PS. We've already been burned. 10 years ago, we naively bought a leather recliner sofa set. The reclining mechanism is wonderful,.... but the leather is a disaster. It was sticky in summertime, has worn through on the folds and the seat, and now is impossible to get clean. Ugh.

PPS. We're in the SF Bay Area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Contemporary reclining leather sofas? Ekornes or ???

We too are looking for family room furniture.
The Ekornes, I found too low. I think we measured the front cushion, and it came out to only 17", then the seat was a bit lower than that when you sat on it. I'm not that tall and have bad knees, so the Ekornes wasn't an option.
Secondly, the foam on the arm rests felt cheap; foam with no substantial feeling.
I did like that you could adjust the amount of drag for each chair in the sofa, and the tilt was cool as well.

The Ekornes that we tried (don't remember the names, we sat on a lot of the Ekorns that day), but I don't think that lying down, like a normal sofa would feel right, but we didn't make it that far because it didn't sit right.
We're still shopping, but so far it looks like Bradington-Young (USA) for recliners; we're getting the sofa custom made locally to us here in Canada.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here