Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kal2002

Cheers furniture

kal2002
13 years ago

Has anyone bought the Cheers brand furniture before? Do they hold up well? They are made in China. We were told that they are mass produced and sold by containers.

Comments (29)

• teneej_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I just purchased a Cheers/Man Wah leather sectional from Macy's. The model name is Aiden. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?

• kal2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The only complaint we have about these "container" furniture pieces from overseas is the choice of colors and/or fabric. They usually come in one style and in one color. Very limited. The only person who put them down that we came across is a sales person in a furniture store. She pretended that she had never heard of Cheers and she was promoting Flexsteel furniture.

• tenjoy
    13 years ago

@kal2002 I cancelled my Macy's Cheers/Manwah leather sectional. Part of the reason was because they initially told me it was an Elite Leather Sectional.

Here's what I found out: I contacted Elite and asked them if they made the Aiden sectional at Macy's. They said no, they only made the Rolla and Miramar sofas there. FYI the Miramar is a sofa/loveseat/chair set. The Aiden is a DEAD ON copy (color, baseball stitching, size) or the Miramar, except ita a sectional. Elite FINALLY told me that the factory in China the makes the Miramar for Elite also makes Cheers/Manwah. So they come from the same place/same people, except Elite Passport-Home claims the Miramar not the Aiden.

Did I confuse you? lol FYI I cancelled, because I just wasn't sure about buying a $4k sectional from a company i never heard of.

• kal2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi tenjoy,

I can relate to how you felt. The Flexsteel sectional that we saw was exactly the same style as the Cheers except the leather appeared to be thicker. But it costs twice as much. I am sure that sales person knew exactly who Cheers was but did not want to acknowledge it since they only carry Flexsteel. After shopping for furniture for a while, we have been told over and over again that most furniture in this country had been made in China. We did not appreciate the attitude of that sales person so we moved on.

• tenjoy
    13 years ago

Good for you! I honestly think the sales person at Macy's made a mistake. They looked exactly alike and was even next to each other.

I bought a sectional from bloomingdales, Made in the USA :)
    I was determined to buy USA made and am so happy I did. I called the factory today gave them the model and color of my sectional and got a quote on some extra fabric to cover my old foot stools. I am SO exicted.

• q_medic_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Bought a Cheers home theatre sectional and it is junk! The "leather" is faded to a pink color and the stitching in the footrest on the recliner has all come apart. The boxes in the armrests are cracked. The store we bought it from led us to believe this was Palliser--it definately is not. Buyers beware this is from China and is most definately not all leather!

• kal2002
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Can you return it? I wonder if the majority of the furniture made in China is bad. I did notice when we were shopping that the leather on the Cheers furniture appeared to be scrached. Then we overheard a salesman telling another customer that the only leather parts are those we can touch. Everything else is non-leather. Our salesman said that it was all leather.

• salesproplat
    12 years ago

Many of these posts are incorrect information. First starting with quality of product and length of use are dependent on how the consumer uses and cares for their product. If you do not care for leather it will have the problems indicated no matter what brand. In terms of quality Coaster is not a quality product what so ever. I have been selling furniture for over 10 years and our store just bought a container of cheers and it is extremely well built. They acutally put padded panels on the ends of the sofa. Ashley furniture is the worst quality on the market DO NOT BUY! flexsteel quality is good in some of their product but bad in others.

• Fishingchik
    12 years ago

I am very dismayed at what I've seen on this site. I have a Miramar reclining loveseat by Elite. Didn't buy the extended warrenty for more than 1 year and after 19 months the leather color is fading horribly. Macy's said I'm out of luck and thought I could appeal to the manufacturer...now I learn they are in China....any suggestions? Expensive peice!!

• guy7
    11 years ago

We originally had a Palliser home theater sofa for 3 years until it fell apart in all directions and decided to purchased a Cheers Sofa Home Theater style. Not even a year old the so called leather (Where you can touch)is actually bonded leather which is apparently legal to call it "Leather". Bond leather is left over leather fibers blend in with vinyl and textured to look like real leather. There should be a law on leather description. So far it has not falling apart but definitely the chocolate color is fading away fast. Also I would like to know where to purchase the recliner pull cable and handle which broke within one week.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

In Europe you cant use the term leather when selling a composite / bonded fabric. Should be the same here in the US.

Two points I have been making on these forums for a long-time.

1. Motion furniture is the about the worst investment you can make in buying furniture.

2. Never ever buy upholstery from China.

• MiddleAge
    11 years ago

Decided to purchase Manwah leather from Slumberland. Ive been told the leather is top grain Italian leather used everywhere except sides and back. Basically the whole front. The rest is vinyl match. First we bought la-z-boy and the foam was not good and lost support right away. The Manwah uses 2 pound density foam. Hopefully the color will remain.

• MiddleAge
    11 years ago

Decided to purchase Manwah leather from Slumberland. Ive been told the leather is top grain Italian leather used everywhere except sides and back. Basically the whole front. The rest is vinyl match. First we bought la-z-boy and the foam was not good and lost support right away. The Manwah uses 2 pound density foam. Hopefully the color will remain.

• slick2373
    9 years ago

I bought the power sectional which was manufactured by Man Wah and sold by Cheers. I would NOT recommend this sectional to anyone! Fabric does not wear well. It is also poorly constructed. I contacted the manufacturer about the fabric and they basically told me to go pound sand. I will never by furniture from China again! I also had a spring that was broken and they did pay to have that fixed. The repairman said this sectional breaks often. My advice is to stay away from furniture by Man Wah.

• PRO
    lugano furniture
    9 years ago

here i never used brand .we just cut trees and make furniture

• okck
    8 years ago

I just bought a sectional 6 weeks ago from Roomstore. Now Roomstore declared chapter 11 and one section is broken. So will see how Cheers USA deals with it. Will let you know.

• Tami
    8 years ago

I just bought a Cheers motion reclining sofa and I love it! I bought it used ( I guess it was because it was in a Salvation Army store) but it appears brand new! The material is thick and heavy duty. The seams are sewn like something high quality. Even underneath places where you do not normally look it is covered and sewn well. I thought perhaps this sofa originally cost 2800 plus because of its quality. I would definitely purchase a cheers sofa again. This one is for a house I am putting up for sale. But I am extremely impressed with it.

• Shraga Haber
    6 years ago

We bought a Cheers 3 seater and 2 seater set here in Israel - we could see that even though it had a leather label, it was a composite but it looks ok with quality stitching, extremely comfortable and the fabric is good for the warm climate we have here by the sea. We wipe any spills of immediately and it doesn't stain like full leather hides can do. We were warned to be gentle with the mechanism for the footstools as they can snap and the Cheers agent here charges 500 Shekels (around 140 dollars) to visit and fix it but apparently you can buy the parts easily and fit them yourself for a few Shekels online should the levers break. We've had the couches nearly a year and they look good - our friends bought the same ones in cream 8 years ago and they still look good and function well though the padding has settled a bit after this time - very pleased and prices are reasonable even here.

• Roxanne Genovese
    6 years ago

Hi. I purchased the Lotus leather seating living room set 14 months ago and the leather is peeling on 2 of the pieces. Have you heard of this happening before?

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    6 years ago

Its not leather you have, its bonded leather and yes your one of thousands of customers who have this same experience. bonded-leather

• njcf19906
    6 years ago

We purchased a Cheers sofa and loveseat over two years ago and were told by the salesman it was leather and it feels like leather. I'm surprised to read all the negative comments. We have been completely satisfied, we have experienced no fading, tearing, worn places or mechanical failure. At this point, we would have to recommend this product. The price was reasonable.

• Diane Keller
    5 years ago

I have two Cheers recliners. The booklet that came with them states they are Italian leather using European advanced leather tanning technology. My husband came in sweaty and sat in his. It lifted the dye off the leather. From what I read, I will most likely have to strip the dye from them a d redeye. Will never buy this brand again!

• HU-353324280
    4 years ago

I bought a sofa and recliner after 2 years of very light use all pieces had to have springs replaced ! Now at just over 5 years they are garbage they can’t be used they sag so bad ! Horrible furniture I won’t ever buy Cheer’s furniture again

• HU-639929612
    4 years ago

I have been in the furniture industry for over 20 years . Here is a little insight on what cheers is really about . Cheers is the largest motion furniture maker in the world . They make private label product for every brand you can think of including all the brands everybody has mentioned on the comments . But obviously alote of this product is badly represented by the sales person at the retail locations . You have to ask the rite questions and your retailer is suppose to back up the warranty that is given by cheers .. if it is quality leather it is suppose to last a long time but unfortunately sometimes the leather get a reaction from human sweat . We have seen that a few times but it could easily be colored matched by your retailer . Happy to answer any questions if any body needs some insight on furniture . I was a furniture buyer for 20 years and traveled everywhere to source product ...

• David
    4 years ago

I believe if a retailer is looking for a leather sectional that is an opening price point, they're asking for the cheapest one possible. That may be the reason for some of the issues many consumers are facing. Furniture made anywhere, designed to be cheap, is just that. Don't buy the cheapest offering if you plan to get some heavy use out of it. Don't expect diamonds just because they are shiney stones! You get what you pay for!
    I have 46 years in the furniture manufacturing and 21 years buying leather products from Asian factories.

• HU-305067988
    3 years ago

OMG! Is the general public really that ignorant of furniture?! I read EVERY comment on here...the ONLY one even remotely close to correct is salesproplat. His (or her) only misstatement is representing Cheer as being higher quality than Ashley. They are both ‘entry level’ products, suitable for 3-5 years of service at a reasonable price. If you want something to last longer, you’ll have to pay more.

The rule of thumb is roughly $250 per year of service. So a $1000 sofa should get you about 4 years and still be in decent shape, a $5000 sofa will last 20 years etc. There is WAY more to a quality piece of furniture than price, but as a guidepost, this will get you in the right direction. Don’t be idiots, have realistic expectations...you WILL NOT get a good quality sofa for less than $2500 regardless of where it was made.

• ALC
    3 years ago

I bought a Cheers leather recliner 7 years ago and it still works like new. Both my husband and I argue over who gets to sit in at night. I use the leather cleaner and treatment on it that came with it from the furniture store and it only shows a minor bit of coluor fade where out feet hit the footrest. It is holding up much better than the Flexsteel reclilner sofa and chair we bought 4 years ago. I would go Cheers/Manwah again over Flexsteel in a heartbeat.

• HU-366526277
    2 months ago

Recently purchased large sectional (Cheers) from Costco. I have an electrical issue and have been unable to reach anyone at Cheers or Manwah to resolve. WhenI contact Costco they advise me to bring it back at my own expense. Very disappointed in Costo and everyone else involved.