Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheers furniture

Posted by kal2002 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 17:21

Has anyone bought the Cheers brand furniture before? Do they hold up well? They are made in China. We were told that they are mass produced and sold by containers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheers furniture

I just purchased a Cheers/Man Wah leather sectional from Macy's. The model name is Aiden. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?

o

The only complaint we have about these "container" furniture pieces from overseas is the choice of colors and/or fabric. They usually come in one style and in one color. Very limited. The only person who put them down that we came across is a sales person in a furniture store. She pretended that she had never heard of Cheers and she was promoting Flexsteel furniture.

o

@kal2002 I cancelled my Macy's Cheers/Manwah leather sectional. Part of the reason was because they initially told me it was an Elite Leather Sectional.

Here's what I found out: I contacted Elite and asked them if they made the Aiden sectional at Macy's. They said no, they only made the Rolla and Miramar sofas there. FYI the Miramar is a sofa/loveseat/chair set. The Aiden is a DEAD ON copy (color, baseball stitching, size) or the Miramar, except ita a sectional. Elite FINALLY told me that the factory in China the makes the Miramar for Elite also makes Cheers/Manwah. So they come from the same place/same people, except Elite Passport-Home claims the Miramar not the Aiden.

Did I confuse you? lol FYI I cancelled, because I just wasn't sure about buying a $4k sectional from a company i never heard of.

o

Hi tenjoy,

I can relate to how you felt. The Flexsteel sectional that we saw was exactly the same style as the Cheers except the leather appeared to be thicker. But it costs twice as much. I am sure that sales person knew exactly who Cheers was but did not want to acknowledge it since they only carry Flexsteel. After shopping for furniture for a while, we have been told over and over again that most furniture in this country had been made in China. We did not appreciate the attitude of that sales person so we moved on.

o

Good for you! I honestly think the sales person at Macy's made a mistake. They looked exactly alike and was even next to each other.

I bought a sectional from bloomingdales, Made in the USA :)
I was determined to buy USA made and am so happy I did. I called the factory today gave them the model and color of my sectional and got a quote on some extra fabric to cover my old foot stools. I am SO exicted.

o

Bought a Cheers home theatre sectional and it is junk! The "leather" is faded to a pink color and the stitching in the footrest on the recliner has all come apart. The boxes in the armrests are cracked. The store we bought it from led us to believe this was Palliser--it definately is not. Buyers beware this is from China and is most definately not all leather!

o

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Can you return it? I wonder if the majority of the furniture made in China is bad. I did notice when we were shopping that the leather on the Cheers furniture appeared to be scrached. Then we overheard a salesman telling another customer that the only leather parts are those we can touch. Everything else is non-leather. Our salesman said that it was all leather.

o

Many of these posts are incorrect information. First starting with quality of product and length of use are dependent on how the consumer uses and cares for their product. If you do not care for leather it will have the problems indicated no matter what brand. In terms of quality Coaster is not a quality product what so ever. I have been selling furniture for over 10 years and our store just bought a container of cheers and it is extremely well built. They acutally put padded panels on the ends of the sofa. Ashley furniture is the worst quality on the market DO NOT BUY! flexsteel quality is good in some of their product but bad in others.

o

Salesproplat, of course your going to say Cheers is better quality than Coaster, because your store just purchased a container of their junk.
I have been working in Asia for the past 8 years+, been in Chinese, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia factories and understand how these people conduct their businesses here. That said, their are some differences from one country to the next and from one factory to the next. But the problem is these buyers from the US dont understand what their getting themselves into here. They ship over an US made piece of furniture and ask one of their contacts here to make a exact copy. By a exact copy, means just the outside, what people can see. They dont care what goes on in the inside, as long as it looks good on the outside and is 50% cheaper then thats all they care about.
My recommendation is for everyone, buy from a reputable US manufacturer thats been around for a while and know what their doing. You need to be able to communicate directly to the factory if any problems arises that the retailer or sales rep can appreciate or help you with.
You take your chances when you purchase imported stuff from Asia, and China is at the top of my list for buyer beware!

o
RE: Elite Furniture

I am very dismayed at what I've seen on this site. I have a Miramar reclining loveseat by Elite. Didn't buy the extended warrenty for more than 1 year and after 19 months the leather color is fading horribly. Macy's said I'm out of luck and thought I could appeal to the manufacturer...now I learn they are in China....any suggestions? Expensive peice!!

o

We originally had a Palliser home theater sofa for 3 years until it fell apart in all directions and decided to purchased a Cheers Sofa Home Theater style. Not even a year old the so called leather (Where you can touch)is actually bonded leather which is apparently legal to call it "Leather". Bond leather is left over leather fibers blend in with vinyl and textured to look like real leather. There should be a law on leather description. So far it has not falling apart but definitely the chocolate color is fading away fast. Also I would like to know where to purchase the recliner pull cable and handle which broke within one week.

o

In Europe you cant use the term leather when selling a composite / bonded fabric. Should be the same here in the US.

Two points I have been making on these forums for a long-time.

1. Motion furniture is the about the worst investment you can make in buying furniture.

2. Never ever buy upholstery from China.

o

Decided to purchase Manwah leather from Slumberland. Ive been told the leather is top grain Italian leather used everywhere except sides and back. Basically the whole front. The rest is vinyl match. First we bought la-z-boy and the foam was not good and lost support right away. The Manwah uses 2 pound density foam. Hopefully the color will remain.

o

Decided to purchase Manwah leather from Slumberland. Ive been told the leather is top grain Italian leather used everywhere except sides and back. Basically the whole front. The rest is vinyl match. First we bought la-z-boy and the foam was not good and lost support right away. The Manwah uses 2 pound density foam. Hopefully the color will remain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here