Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smile_gw

Recomendations for decent quality children's furniture

smile
15 years ago

I'm looking for cream/off-white furniture that resembles the products below, but from a better quality manufacturer (one that has better reviews at least)

http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=1430

http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/sb130/index.cfm

http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=1414

Comments (8)

• mogator88
    15 years ago

Buy AP Industries or Dutailier, both are made in Canada and are quality products.

• smile
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. Unfortunately AP doesn't have anything that we like, but I have heard good things about them (although I found it interesting that the furniture wasn't dovetailed)--any thoughts about that? We do like AP lines for boys and might consider them for our toddler son in the future, but we didn't like the girls line.

• mogator88
    15 years ago

Dovetailing is not a mark of quality unless your bedroom set costs at least as much as a decent used car.

It is often a buzzword to trick unsuspecting customers into buying something that is substandard in other ways, for example, having lead or other toxins in the finish, having poor quality wood, or having poor quality joinery in the case itself.

Most "affordable" dovetailed furniture uses machine cut "half blind" dovetails, and if you took it apart you'd see the tail is taper cut on three sides instead of two. The contact point where the tail meets the drawer side is often much smaller than you would think, because its not full depth. So the strength isn't there, especially with the cheaper woods used on cheaper furniture.

AP is very well made, I've had it in my own home for years and has held up very well, I highly recommend it.

• alutz
    15 years ago

So, just to throw it out there as a possibility...have you looked at the Ikea Hemnes line? I bought that for my daughter because I liked the metal drawer slides on the dressers - opens very easily one handed. I'm very pleased with the quality for the price. In my experience it's been better than PB/EA, but for half the cost. Granted, you're not getting top of the line, but kids are notoriously hard on furniture and this can take the abuse.

• blueseven
    15 years ago

Hi Smile,
    I think "decent quality" is very subjective. What may be decent to me may be poor quality to you, and as I've read in other threads you can't always trust review as we don't always know why exactly someone is returning furniture.

I looked at the links you gave and I like the look of the furniture. If you have concerns have you tried to make contact with the website owners or suppliers and question them yourself? Voice your concerns to them and see what response you get, ask about their guarantees and their opinion of the "quality" of their product. Maybe ask them for some references of people who have purchased their furniture, you may get a bias customer but atleast they are willing to give out a contact or two.

It's great to get other people's opinions and weigh them up, but if you really like someone's furniture, check directly with them - it may save you alot of time and put your mind at ease or really get a strong sense to find something else.

• megradek
    15 years ago

I have been very happy so far with items purchased from Land of Nod and they have stellar customer service

Here is a link that might be useful: great kids store

• dkaunitz
    15 years ago

I bought stanley furniture for my kids and think that the quality is very good. It is their Young America line for kids.

• willowdecor
    15 years ago

If you are in New England - I really like Boston Interiors!