Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smith Brothers of Berne furniture

Posted by Jjtbq1 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 15:21

My comment is for those that want info about this company. I also wanted to inform the person, while they saw Broyhill and other brands there, it's common when trucks deliver regular materials to the company, other merchandise ordered to the area is added to the load for delivery also, if there is room on the trailer. A few years back I toured their facility and was very impressed with the quality of the workmanship. I saw every aspect of construction for both sofas and recliners, from the base to finished products. All the frames are solid hardwood then reinforced with metal joints. The padding is heavy and as durable as the fabrics used. The quality of the products obviously is reflected in their prices. Smith Brothers products I KNOW hold up for decades through routine ware and tear. I know this because a friend's living room sofa is from there. After years of use she was pleased enough with it, she had it reupholstered. Hope this information helps inform people.
I will agree with others that the only information available is from the company. Even when investigating consumer opinions one needs to determine whether or not advise is sound and reasonable too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smith Brothers of Berne furniture

I love my Smith Brothers furniture. Not only is it lovely but meticulously crafted. I bought two arm chairs months ago for my library and also purchased two Hancock & Moore pieces. I love the SB as much as my H & M and I honestly think the quality is comparable at a lower price point. The quality of the upholstery is just absolutely first rate. I highly recommend SB and H & M.

o

I bought a chair and ottoman from Smith Brothers of Berne about 4 or 5 years ago. It is extremely well made furniture. I would consider buying my next couch from there. Plus, I think I got it in 2 or 3 weeks, custom made with my choice of fabric, contrast welting etc.

o

Love my Smith Bros. furniture, after 6 years of heavy daily use, it still looks new. I would absolutely buy from them again.

o

I had a Berne sofa 40 years ago. It was my first 'real' sofa, and I remember it being a thousand $$$, a lot of money years ago(even today!). With the spring type cushions, it lasted way too long, 20 years, but had even more years of wear in it. I wanted a different design, but should have had *it* redesigned/reupholstered.

o

Smith Brothers makes a quality product. I know quite a few retailers who swear by it. They have a 5/4 maple frame which is very good and a drop in coil spring unit. An 8 way hand tied unit is better but their drop in unit is fairly consistant. A drop in unit is a spring unit made outside the furniture and screwed into place. A drop in unit does not add to the torsional strength of the frame. Their tailoring is also good. All in all a pretty good choice from a price, value perspective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here